POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-Ray v3.1d Comparison Test Results Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Pov-Ray v3.1d Comparison Test Results (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Ken
Subject: Pov-Ray v3.1d Comparison Test Results
Date: 22 Feb 1999 10:10:33
Message: <36D172E7.93F16255@pacbell.net>
Chris Cason asked me to share these early test results with you.

  I have been doing some testing for Chris Cason to compare the
differences in performance of Pov v3.1b compiled using watcom and
the Pov v3.1d compiled using msvc6 a c++ compiler. Because there
was such a performance increase seen in the msvc6 version he also
sent me a copy of Pov v3.1d compiled with watcom. These are the
test results I obtained using the three different versions and
compilers used for the test.

 There are some surprises ahead for you and I believe you will
be as surprised as I have been. In both compiler versions they
have been optimised for a Pentium II system but it is evident
that instructions used for the optimization also help in the
earlier Pentium I class machines like I use.

 My system:
 Pentium - 200 mmx 512k cache 128 megs edo ram on a Win98 platform.

Enjoy !

First report to Chris compares Pov v3.1d.msvc vs. Pov v3.1b.watcom

Control for Tests:

1.) All global parameters were allowed to default except GUI and
    Render Priority were set to highest.

2.) All background applications were terminated.

3.) Each set of tests ran sequencialy for each compiled version
    and no other programs on the system were started in between
    versions runs.

4.) All data reported comes from Pov-Ray message window

5.) Where the system used the hard drive to swap out memory it
    has been noted as such even though the results indicate it
    made little difference in the comparison of the two compiles.

Results of Tests Run
--------------------

-------------------
Test1 - Sphere Test
Purpose:
Test difference between compiles against parsing time using scaleable
quanities of simple to render but longer to parse objects. In this
case the sphere objects was choosen as it renders quickly but the
high numbers increase the parsing time.

Test Objects:
This test used a nested while loop to produce uniform numbers of 1 unit
spheres with rgb 1 pigment, default finish, 1 light source and 1 camera.
Render times will not be accurate as the majority of spheres are outside
the angle of view of the camera. The important numbers are those showing
the  parsing time vs. numbers of objects generated.

Comparison Results:
                                        parse t    render t  swap
          test  #objects  Peak Memory   Min Sec    Min  Sec  file
pov 3.1 b    1       100     150,326      0   0      0   6     No
pov 3.1 d    1       100     155.430      0   1      0   4     No

pov 3.1 b    2      1000     823,778      0   2      0   6     No
pov 3.1 d    2      1000     883,550      0   2      0   5     No

pov 3.1 b    3     10000   7,737,986      0  10      0  10     No
pov 3.1 d    3     10000   7,890,322      0  12      0   8     No

pov 3.1 b    4    100000  77,600,314      2  15      0  17     No
pov 3.1 d    4    100000  79,434,254      1  59      0  15     No

---------------------
Test2 - hairball test
Purpose:
Test difference between compiles against file that contains a large number
of objects generated by several nested loops, known to require both large
amounts of memory, long parsing times, and long rendering times.

Test Objects:
A mesh of 12 triangles was created. These were used in a nested loop to
create a patch of triangle objects, This patch was used inside another
nested loop to create a hemispherical globe - looks like half a hairball.
The first loop was incrememted from the first test with 25% of it's
number of objects to 100% in the last test run.

Comparison Results:
                                        parse t    render t  swap
          test  #objects  Peak Memory   Min Sec    Min  Sec  file
pov 3.1 B    1     18631   14,139,656     0  14      3   6     No
pov 3.1 D    1     18631   14,141,544     0  13      2  44     No

pov 3.1 B    2     51751   38,559,004     0  34      7  17     No
pov 3.1 D    2     51751   38,560,892     0  30      6  30     No

pov 3.1 B    3    132481   98,081,212     1  39     16  45    Yes
pov 3.1 D    3    132481   98,083,184     1  42     14  52    Yes

pov 3.1 B    4    207001  153,024,808     8  48     29  10    Yes
pov 3.1 D    4    207001  153,026,780     6  57     27  25    Yes

Observation: Times were better for both parsing and rendering with
             less that a 1% sacrifice in the amount of memory needed.

Test3: Lathe/surperellispoid Object Test

Purpose: test difference between compiles against objects
requiring higher order math funtions and textures that were both
layered and reflective.

This test used a 74 point qauadratic spline lathe with a 6 layer
crackled texture and reflective finish. Also present were a brick
floor created by placing scaled superellipsiods in place with a
nested loop - objects were given single pigment but high values
of reflecion  0.45. A gradient sky_sphere was used to add color to
the scene so the reflections would have an impact on the render time.
The slower_yet_more_accurate sturm keyword was used with the lathe object.

Comparison Results:
                                        parse t    render t  swap
          test  #objects  Peak Memory   Min Sec    Min  Sec  file
pov 3.1 B    1        43      171,303         1     37   8     No
pov 3.1 D    1        43      177,027         1      4   8     No

pov 3.1 B    2        43      171,303         1     37   7     No
pov 3.1 D    2        43      177,027         1      4   8     No

Note: Since there was such a large difference in the render times
of v3.1b and v3.1d the test was repeated. A variance of only 1 second
for four renders supports the results. Amazing !!!

-----------------------------------

Report to Chris #2

A few more render comparisons on the lathe object. What a difference !

20 point lathe object
                     3.1d       3.1b
    cubic_spline    41 sec     9m 57s

quadratic_spline
         w/sturm    38 sec     9m  6s
        wo/sturm    23 sec     1m  7s

   linear_spline    22 sec        46s

   bezier_spline    48 sec     3m 38s

Report to Chris #3

This last adds the v3.1d watcom compile to the comparisons to see if
the previous results were a compiler related speed up or a version
related speed up. It appears it is more version related than compiler
though the msvc6 version is fastest of the three so far.

Ken

Pov v3.1 d.msvc  vs. Pov v3.1d.watcom  vs. Pov v3.1b.watcom

20 point Lathe Using Different Spline Types:

           v3.1d-msvc  v3.1d-watcom   v3.1b.watcom
quadratic
 w/sturm        38 s           47 s        9m  6 s
wo/sturm        23 s           27 s        1m  7 s

linear          22 s           25 s           46 s
cubic           41 s           53 s        9m 57 s
bezier          48 s        1m  1 s        3m 38 s

Objects From Shapesq.inc Comparison Test.

              v3.1d.msvc.win32    v3.1d.watcom.win32  v3.1b.watcom.win32.r1
              wo/sturm  w/sturm   wo/sturm  w/sturm   wo/sturm  w/sturm
bicorn             22s       24s       24s      27s        25s      28s
Crossed_Trough     25s       42s       29s      55s        31s      58s
Cubic_Cylinder     30s       48s       36s  1m   1s        39s  1m   6s
Cubic_Saddle_1     30s       46s       37s      57s        40s  1m   1s
Devils_Curve       31s       46s       36s      57s        40s  1m   1s
Helix_1            27s       57s       27s  1m   5s        29s  1m  11s
glob_5          1m 34s    1m 37s   1m  59s  2m   4s    2m   7s  2m   9s

total time      4m 31s    6m  0s   5m  13s  7m  43s    5m  51s  7m   9s
                ----------------   ----------------    -----------------

--------------------------
Traditional Sky_Vase Test:
                        memory               memory              memory
Sky_Vase.Pov   2m 16s   150,015     2m  7s   145,095    2m 19s   145,051

Lathe/Surperellispoid Object Comparison Test:

                                        parse t    render t  swap
          test  #objects  Peak Memory   Min Sec    Min  Sec  file
pov 3.1 b.w  1        43      171,303         1     37   8     No
pov 3.1 d.w  1        43      171,383         1      4  34     No
pov 3.1 d.v  1        43      177,027         1      4   8     No

Note: Notice large difference in speed between versions.

------------------------------
Large Pov Generated Mesh Test:
                                       parse t   render t  swap
          test  #objects  Peak Memory  Min Sec   Min  Sec  file
pov 3.1 b.w  1     18631   14,139,656    0  14     3   6     No
pov 3.1 d.w  1     18631   14,139,736    0  13     3   1     No
pov 3.1 d.v  1     18631   14,141,544    0  13     2  44     No

pov 3.1 b.w  2     51751   38,559,004    0  34     7  17     No
pov 3.1 d.w  2     51751   38,559,084       33     7   3     No
pov 3.1 d.v  2     51751   38,560,892    0  30     6  30     No

pov 3.1 b.w  3    132481   98,081,212    1  39    16  45    Yes
pov 3.1 d.w  3    132481   98,081,292    1  37    16   6    Yes
pov 3.1 d.v  3    132481   98,083,184    1  42    14  52    Yes

As you can see from my tests you should expect to see some signifigant
improvement in your render times with certain types of scenes. On other
types there will be little gain noticed but with raytracing it's every
little bit that counts.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

What makes the rendering of the lathe and super'lips so much faster? Any
idea?

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler