POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reasons for crashing? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:50 EDT (-0400)
  Reasons for crashing? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Graham Redway
Subject: Reasons for crashing?
Date: 31 Jan 1999 14:49:34
Message: <36B4B2E5.9E7DBD07@redways.freeserve.co.uk>
All,
	Can anyone explain why POVray will render a scene OK 2 or 3 times and
then hang after Parsing when it starts the bounding on any attempt after
that? I'm using approx. 8000 spheres and nothing else. Is it that my
limited 32Mb of RAM, is inadequate for this sort of purpose? I would try
it on another computer but the P66 is even slower and my PII workstation
is dead, waiting for the fairies to provide it with it's new h-d.

Here are some details:
P166MMX
32Mb RAM
Running Win95 OSR2 <sigh>
Win-POV 3.1a
...erm. erm.

I'm getting fed up with rebooting so any help would be appreciated. I'm
also near suicidal using a laptop keyboard and trackpoint but that's
unsolvable.

	Graham.

Sorry for the dire English, grammar is not my strong point.

Post a reply to this message

I can't tell whhy, but I know the fault.
I have several of the error messages preserved.
As for rebooting, that isn't necessary for me. Generally it only is
restarting pov to make it work again.

//Spider

Graham Redway wrote:

> All,
>         Can anyone explain why POVray will render a scene OK 2 or 3 times and
> then hang after Parsing when it starts the bounding on any attempt after
> that? I'm using approx. 8000 spheres and nothing else. Is it that my
> limited 32Mb of RAM, is inadequate for this sort of purpose? I would try
> it on another computer but the P66 is even slower and my PII workstation
> is dead, waiting for the fairies to provide it with it's new h-d.
>
> Here are some details:
> P166MMX
> 32Mb RAM
> Running Win95 OSR2 <sigh>
> Win-POV 3.1a
> ...erm. erm.
>
> I'm getting fed up with rebooting so any help would be appreciated. I'm
> also near suicidal using a laptop keyboard and trackpoint but that's
> unsolvable.
>
>         Graham.
>
> Sorry for the dire English, grammar is not my strong point.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:45:41 +0000, Graham Redway
<gra### [at] redwaysfreeservecouk> wrote:

>All,
>	Can anyone explain why POVray will render a scene OK 2 or 3 times and
>then hang after Parsing when it starts the bounding on any attempt after
>that? I'm using approx. 8000 spheres and nothing else. Is it that my
>limited 32Mb of RAM, is inadequate for this sort of purpose? I would try
>it on another computer but the P66 is even slower and my PII workstation
>is dead, waiting for the fairies to provide it with it's new h-d.
>
>Here are some details:
>P166MMX
>32Mb RAM
>Running Win95 OSR2 <sigh>
>Win-POV 3.1a
>...erm. erm.
>
>I'm getting fed up with rebooting so any help would be appreciated. I'm
>also near suicidal using a laptop keyboard and trackpoint but that's
>unsolvable.
>
>	Graham.
>
>Sorry for the dire English, grammar is not my strong point.

If there were a good explanation why a program has crashed, life would
have been much better. Solving the problem may involve:
- Reinstall windos
- keep it c;ean (i.e. device drivers and POV only)
-reinstall POV
-recompile POV
-turn off display
-fiddle with BIOS settings
-move your PCI cards around
-update your BIOS
-use an intel processor on an intel motherboard
All of the above have helped me at different times. The best solution
I found is to use a different compile, so I have the official 3.1a
(dos and win), same compiled with VC5/6 PPro/PII optimised, the
SuperPatch and Dispersion, all these on two computers. Works most of
the time.

Have fun.
Peter

Post a reply to this message

> - keep it c;ean (i.e. device drivers and POV only)
Done.

> -reinstall POV
New installation

> -recompile POV
Offical release

> -turn off display
I'll give it a try.

> -fiddle with BIOS settings
Done.

> -move your PCI cards around
It's a laptop, but nice try.

> -update your BIOS
Latest.

> -use an intel processor on an intel motherboard
Already has it.

> All of the above have helped me at different times. The best solution
> I found is to use a different compile, so I have the official 3.1a
> (dos and win), same compiled with VC5/6 PPro/PII optimised, the
> SuperPatch and Dispersion, all these on two computers. Works most of
> the time.

Thanks for the help.

Post a reply to this message

Well, if its any consolation, 3.1 crashes when I have done multiple
partial/complete renders using the Area Selector. It finally just gives
up and starts to freeze the graphics up. I never mention it because I'm
figuring it to be my video, thus my problem. Besides, there's always P-R
3.5 down the road.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob