POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray and Perl Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray and Perl (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Geoffrey Romer
Subject: POV-Ray and Perl
Date: 9 Jan 1999 14:11:09
Message: <3697A9C2.9AF6D1C4@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us>
It has always struck me that POVRay and Perl make a
natural team. Perl's text-processing facilites, and the fact
that it is a full-featured programming language, make it a
great choice for automating the construction of scenes
which are, for one reason or another, difficult to build by
hand. I have seen a few mentions of this approach at the
IRTC. However, I have yet to come across any mention
of a more general solution- a POVRay Perl module, which
would simplify the process of developing Perl scripts for
POV output, and thereby keep every Perl-POV
programmer from having to start from scratch.

In light of this, I would like to develop just such a module.
However, I have no wish to duplicate someone else's
effort, or step on their toes, so if a POVRay Perl module
already exists, could someone let me know where I could
get information about it?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 09 Jan 1999 11:10:58 -0800, Geoffrey Romer
<gro### [at] lickpvtk12caus> wrote:

>In light of this, I would like to develop just such a module.
>However, I have no wish to duplicate someone else's
>effort, or step on their toes, so if a POVRay Perl module
>already exists, could someone let me know where I could
>get information about it?

Someone (Rainer Mager) is already working on this.  You can find his
post about it at the following location on this news server:

Geoffrey Romer heeft geschreven in bericht
<3697A9C2.9AF6D1C4@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us>...
>It has always struck me that POVRay and Perl make a
>natural team. Perl's text-processing facilites, ........

take a look at steve's object builder:
http://www.carr.lib.md.us/~stevensl/

ingo