POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Degenerate blob element? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Degenerate blob element? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Degenerate blob element?
Date: 6 Dec 1998 18:45:10
Message: <366b1706.0@news.povray.org>
Hi there,
    Can anyone explain why the following code gives the message 'Degenerate
blob element' ? It renders okay, so it's no great problem, but I am curious
as to what it means, and how I get rid of it.

Many thanks,
Andy C.

#declare StrengthVal=0.01;
#declare RadiusVal= 0.01;

blob
{
  #declare Count=0.0001;
  #while (Count<=100)

  threshold 0.6
  sphere {<0,0,0>,StrengthVal*Count,RadiusVal*Count
        translate <2.5,2.5,2.5>
        rotate <Count*3.6,Count*3.6,Count*3.6>
        }

  #declare Count=Count+1;
  #end
 }

Post a reply to this message

>     Can anyone explain why the following code gives the message 'Degenerate
> blob element' ? It renders okay, so it's no great problem, but I am curious
> as to what it means, and how I get rid of it.
>
> Many thanks,
> Andy C.
>
> #declare StrengthVal=0.01;
> #declare RadiusVal= 0.01;
>
> blob
> {
>   #declare Count=0.0001;
>   #while (Count<=100)
>
>   threshold 0.6
>   sphere {<0,0,0>,StrengthVal*Count,RadiusVal*Count
>         translate <2.5,2.5,2.5>
>         rotate <Count*3.6,Count*3.6,Count*3.6>
>         }
>
>   #declare Count=Count+1;
>   #end
>  }

My guess is that it's 'cause the first component has a strength of .01*.0001 =
very small, and the threshold is bigger than that. Starting 'Count' at 1 (or
1.0001, if you prefer) should fix that without affecting the image.

-Mark R.

Post a reply to this message

My guess is that it wears a lether jacket, skips class, and smokes in the
bathroom.  Try giving it a good kick in the butt.