POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multithread/SMP/Network render support in POVRAY Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Multithread/SMP/Network render support in POVRAY (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jason Herring
Subject: Multithread/SMP/Network render support in POVRAY
Date: 28 Nov 1998 23:58:14
Message: <3660D42F.6A479734@nospam.usa.net>
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make a multithreaded version
of POVRAY?  This would have the greatest beneficial effect on
SMP machines, of course, but those are getting more common (and less
expensive) now, and UNIX, Linux, and even WindowsNT in it's own
primitive way support SMP.

Also, what about a way to do network rendering?  For frame-by-frame
stuff, this could be done pretty easily (at least in UNIX or Linux) with
scripting (using simple remote shelling), or somewhat more involved
using RPC.  With RPC, each potential trace box could run a small, simple
povray daemon that would receive incoming "assigmnents" from the trace
server.  The front end would hand out frame assigmnents to all the
machines in the "trace pool", and then check them periodically for
status, handing out more frames to the machines that were done with
their assigment.  If thread support were possible, this could be done
within a given image, handing out individual pixels or groups of pixels
to be rendered (perhaps with configurable granularity).  Of course this
gets more tricky...

Jason
(remove "nospam." to reply)

--