POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightning effect? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:42:54 EDT (-0400)
  Lightning effect? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: James Fitzgerald
Subject: Lightning effect?
Date: 12 Nov 1998 00:24:22
Message: <364A7106.A3167EF0@argoneng.com>
I would like to do an image with some lightning in it,
but I'm really at a loss as to where to even think of
starting.  Should the lightning be cylinders connected
where the radius gets smaller as it approaches the ground?
If so, how do you make the cylinder appear to emitting
light?  Or are cylinders the wrong way to go?  Any
chance someone could point in the right direction?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

-JamesF.

Post a reply to this message

I have a lightening include file I picked up somewhere
if you would like to have a look at it.

Ken Tyler

James Fitzgerald wrote:

> I would like to do an image with some lightning in it,
> but I'm really at a loss as to where to even think of
> starting.  Should the lightning be cylinders connected
> where the radius gets smaller as it approaches the ground?
> If so, how do you make the cylinder appear to emitting
> light?  Or are cylinders the wrong way to go?  Any
> chance someone could point in the right direction?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> -JamesF.

Post a reply to this message

>I would like to do an image with some lightning in it,
>but I'm really at a loss as to where to even think of
>starting.  Should the lightning be cylinders connected
>where the radius gets smaller as it approaches the ground?
>If so, how do you make the cylinder appear to emitting
>light?  Or are cylinders the wrong way to go?  Any
>chance someone could point in the right direction?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
>
>-JamesF.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spark.zip' (35 KB)

If you don't want the lightning to point at something special, you might
use a hollow plane , with a z normal. Then modify one of the included
lightning textures, so that it is completely transparent where there
isn't lightning. Then you can change the turbulence, scale it(the
texture) so you only see the wanted amount of lightning...

Just an idea...

//Spider