POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Check this out ... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Check this out ... (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Check this out ...
Date: 22 Oct 1998 16:12:29
Message: <362f839d.0@news.povray.org>
In article <362f6649.0@news.povray.org> , "Mike Norton" <man### [at] ihatespamjpsnet>
wrote:

>You said you could not see it, then how do you know if QTVr is faster?  Hmm?
>
>Just curious, Im going to post an image done with QTVr if no one else has
>done it.  solidThinking now lets you output to the VR format.

I look at it after posting this, yes, and then I walked over to a friend with a WinDOS
PC (P2 266). It looks terrible and seems to be very limited and difficult to use (not
very flexible) compared to Apples QT technology (which is proven for years now). It
takes me less than a minute to create a QT VR movie out of *free* tools by simply
drgging the output image (actually, POV-Ray Mac can directly output to QuickTime
Movies, this goes for single frames as well as *animations* - so I could even directly
create a digial video stream to upload to a digial video recorder via FireWire...just
to let you know :-) on the application,it will ask me I I want to change the default
compression and then I press a "Create" button and after 30 sec all is done!
(And note that a former POV-Ray team member, Jim Nitchals, worked on Apples
QuickTime!!! And is even mentioned as doing its optimzation on QT VR in the SIGGRAPH
95 paper...)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

"Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:

>In article <362f6649.0@news.povray.org> , "Mike Norton" <man### [at] ihatespamjpsnet>
wrote:

>>You said you could not see it, then how do you know if QTVr is faster?  Hmm?
>>
>>Just curious, Im going to post an image done with QTVr if no one else has
>>done it.  solidThinking now lets you output to the VR format.
>
>I look at it after posting this, yes, and then I walked over to a friend with a
WinDOS PC (P2 266). It looks terrible and seems to be very limited and difficult to
use (not very flexible) compared to Apples QT technology (which is proven for years
now). It takes me less than a minute to create a QT VR movie out of *free* tools by
simply drgging the output image (actually, POV-Ray Mac can directly output to
QuickTime Movies, this goes for single frames as well as *animations* - so I could
even directly create a digial video stream to upload to a digial video recorder via
FireWire...just to let you know :-) on the application,it will ask me I I want to
change the default compression and then I press a "Create" button and after 30 sec all
is done!
>(And note that a former POV-Ray team member, Jim Nitchals, worked on Apples
QuickTime!!! And is even mentioned as doing its optimzation on QT VR in the SIGGRAPH
95 paper...)

Thorsten;

PLEASE WRAP YOUR POSTS AT 80 COLUMNS !!!

Your posts are almost unreadable to some users of this group (including
myself). I will point out that I have asked you to do this before.

If you want reminding how your posts look outside your own newsreader, try
looking at the cgi web version of the above post -

http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=povray.general&item=5323

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Kress
Date: 23 Oct 1998 16:43:56
Message: <3630dc7c.0@news.povray.org>
povray.org admin team wrote in message <3631438d.1330002@news.povray.org>...
>"Thorsten Froehlich" <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:

<Snip!>

>Thorsten;
>
>PLEASE WRAP YOUR POSTS AT 80 COLUMNS !!!
>
>Your posts are almost unreadable to some users of this group (including
>myself). I will point out that I have asked you to do this before.

Can Mac's wrap at 80 columns?  I thought they only displayed 40 ...   :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Oct 1998 22:01:30
Message: <363126ea.0@news.povray.org>
In article <3630dc7c.0@news.povray.org> , "Jim Kress"
<jim### [at] dccmailcom> wrote:

>Can Mac's wrap at 80 columns?  I thought they only displayed 40 ...
:)

Mac can, and on every Mac there is no problem as Mac e-mail and news
clients auto-wrap when reading messages. And all provided a *working*
wrapping when send e-mail and news except Outlook Express (of course a
Microsoft product) which I am using.

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 23 Oct 1998 23:14:15
Message: <363137f7.0@news.povray.org>
>>Can Mac's wrap at 80 columns?  I thought they only displayed 40 ...
>:)
>

>Mac can, and on every Mac there is no problem as Mac e-mail and news
>clients auto-wrap when reading messages. And all provided a *working*
>wrapping when send e-mail and news except Outlook Express (of course a
>Microsoft product) which I am using.
>
>    Thorsten

Actually Outlook Express can in the windows version that I am using(4.72)

Tools->
    Options->
        Send->
            News Sending Format-Plain Text - Setting->
                    Automatically wrap text at [   76   ]

I would imagine that the Mac version has something similar as this is a
basic function of most mail applications.

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Oct 1998 04:33:48
Message: <363182dc.0@news.povray.org>
In article <363137f7.0@news.povray.org> , "Tom Galvin"
<tga### [at] dataforgecom> wrote:

>I would imagine that the Mac version has something similar as this is
>basic function of most mail applications.

Yes, it has (of course) this option, but the text will be reformatted
whenever ou even save an e-mail or news as a draft...and editing later
will give a terribly messed up layout making it even more unreadable.