POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : layering transparent surfaces, more than 4? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  layering transparent surfaces, more than 4? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Cedar Cox
Subject: layering transparent surfaces, more than 4?
Date: 21 Oct 1998 00:44:38
Message: <362D5909.56F8@geocities.com>
It seems as though povray has a hard time layering more than four
transparent surfaces on top of each other.  Am I correct? Is this a
known issue? Or is it my version of Pov? (currently 3.00e, 3.02 won't
run)
Run this source and it should be fine, but change the loop from .4 to .5
and the last layer's transparent color will turn black.

---BEGIN POV FILE---
camera { location -z look_at 0 }
light_source { <0,0,-1> rgb 1 }
light_source { <0,0,1.5> rgb 1 }
#declare c=0
#while (c<.4) /* <-- change this to .5 */
  plane { z,0
    pigment { checker rgb x, rgbt<.5,.5,.5,1> scale .2 }
    translate <0,0,c>
  }
  #declare c=c+.1
#end
plane { z,2 pigment { rgb 1 } }
---END POV FILE---

Maybe I don't know about an option somewhere to increase the depth at
which pov traces through transparent textures, if so please tell me!
Thnks much
-Cedar

Post a reply to this message

Increase the integer to increase the number of tranparent surfaces POV will
bother with.

-Mike

Cedar Cox wrote:

> Maybe I don't know about an option somewhere to increase the depth at
> which pov traces through transparent textures, if so please tell me!
> Thnks much
> -Cedar

Post a reply to this message

" If you wanna have fun, and don't need  a reason,
all you need is a gun, it's TOURIST season!"
Bugs Bunny  (modified)

Cedar Cox wrote in message <362### [at] geocitiescom>...
>It seems as though povray has a hard time layering more than four
>transparent surfaces on top of each other.  Am I correct? Is this a
>known issue? Or is it my version of Pov? (currently 3.00e, 3.02 won't
>run)
>Run this source and it should be fine, but change the loop from .4 to .5
>and the last layer's transparent color will turn black.
>
>---BEGIN POV FILE---
>camera { location -z look_at 0 }
>light_source { <0,0,-1> rgb 1 }
>light_source { <0,0,1.5> rgb 1 }
>#declare c=0
>#while (c<.4) /* <-- change this to .5 */
>  plane { z,0
>    pigment { checker rgb x, rgbt<.5,.5,.5,1> scale .2 }
>    translate <0,0,c>
>  }
>  #declare c=c+.1
>#end
>plane { z,2 pigment { rgb 1 } }
>---END POV FILE---
>
>Maybe I don't know about an option somewhere to increase the depth at
>which pov traces through transparent textures, if so please tell me!
>Thnks much
>-Cedar

Post a reply to this message

> Increase the integer to increase the number of tranparent surfaces POV will
> bother with.
>
> -Mike

Hmm... looks like i'll be spending a lot of time waiting for my image to
trace.  Either that or I'll use a height field. (see my IRTC stills
image if I get around to finishing it)
I knew it was somewhere!, thanks Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Date: 21 Oct 1998 05:05:46
Message: <362D9560.822CE640@peak.edu.ee>
Cedar Cox wrote:

> Maybe I don't know about an option somewhere to increase the depth at
> which pov traces through transparent textures, if so please tell me!
> Thnks much
> -Cedar

max_trace_level... The most elusive of POV features ;)
I should  know, I hacked my brains, cursed and RTFM at least 2 times before
I got it.

Perhaps there should be a big notice about it at the POV webpage (well, at
least sth. to this effect), since this question is often asked (and reported
as a bug at least once).

Margus