POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unofficial 3.1 unix ports? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Unofficial 3.1 unix ports? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Juan F  Herrera
Subject: Unofficial 3.1 unix ports?
Date: 13 Oct 1998 22:27:06
Message: <3624005C.3ECD83A3@hotmail.com>
Hi,
I'm a new user to POV-ray. I'm using it to plot the energy levels of the
hydrogen atom (check out some at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5801/), and I'm very
excited about it. However, I make most of the numerical work in linux,
and having to switch to win95 between plots is somewhat unwieldly. I
just can't use 3.02, because I use macros and some other new features. I
tried the unofficial port at
http://www.users.ezwv.com/~mclilith/download/index.html which was
announced on this group a while back, but it was a binary that just got
me a segmentation fault. I'm thinking about porting the ms-dos source to
3.1 (having just command-line POV session would be OK to me), but before
I try that I thought I'd first find out whether anyone already has
ported to linux or some other *n*x.

Also, JOC, just what's it that is delaying the official 3.1 unix
release? I'd think most of the numerical/algorithmic functionality would
already be there, and if anything would cause trouble it would something
like the X interface. Or is it that this release will feature a
sophisticated editor, just as the win95 one? Personally, even so I'd be
using Emacs and an external viewer most of the time, and I guess many
unix users would do so too, so I would ask: wouldn't it be worthy to
release an interim version with no graphical output?

Sorry if all this just amounts to unfocused newbie questions :-)

Juan F. Herrera

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:37:32 -0500, Juan F. Herrera
	<jua### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm a new user to POV-ray. I'm using it to plot the energy levels of the
>hydrogen atom (check out some at
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5801/), and I'm very
>excited about it. However, I make most of the numerical work in linux,
>and having to switch to win95 between plots is somewhat unwieldly. I
>just can't use 3.02, because I use macros and some other new features. I
>tried the unofficial port at
>http://www.users.ezwv.com/~mclilith/download/index.html which was
>announced on this group a while back, but it was a binary that just got
>me a segmentation fault. I'm thinking about porting the ms-dos source to
>3.1 (having just command-line POV session would be OK to me), but before
>I try that I thought I'd first find out whether anyone already has
>ported to linux or some other *n*x.

As the person who created the binary that you mentioned, I'm surprised
that it caused a segfault.  However, I can tell you how to reproduce my
results - hopefully in a form that works for you.  I used the DOS 3.1
source (make sure you unzip with -aL), combined with the unix directory
from the 3.02 source.

I modified the 3.02 makefile to remove all references to halos and add
sections for interior.c and media.c.  I cheated by omitting the
dependency information, since I was only going to build it once and
could just delete the .o files if I changed anything, but you might
want to use gcc to generate real dependencies.

I also got the latest official releases of zlib and libpng from
ftp.uu.net/pub/png (if this address is wrong, see the documentation
that accompanies the abbreviated version included with the DOS port
for the correct address) and built those in place of the versions
included with the official DOS source (mainly because those versions
had usable makefiles/configure scripts.)