POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Old versions of POV? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Old versions of POV? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Old versions of POV?
Date: 18 Sep 1998 06:04:43
Message: <3602209B.8446CD82@peak.edu.ee>
Out of curiosity:

does anybony know where I could get those old versions of POV (like POV
1.0 beta ;-))?.

Just to get that wonderful nostalgic feeling...

Margus

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Old versions of POV?
Date: 18 Sep 1998 08:30:48
Message: <360244B7.553E26C1@pacbell.net>
The official POV-Ray CD has many of the early versions on it.
Many of the mirror sites listed in the c.g.r.r. also will lead you
to sites containing thse older files. I have them if you can't locate
them yourself. I even have the old DKBRaytracer (the predicessor
to POV-Ray) somewhere on my drives.
    If you do start playing with these programs watch out. The
syntax is confusing from the current syntax used, the render engines
are slow, and the features are somewhat limited. But it can be a
hoot to play with them.
    I learned POV-Ray just after 2.2 came out but a majority of the
utilities available only supported Pov 1 and so I quickly learned
how to make the necessary syntax changes to get them to work.
People that have learned since 3.0 might be at a total loss trying
to upgrade a Pov 1.0 file to the modern version.
 Anyway I ramble. If you would like a copy let me know.

Ken