POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : julia object problems (+5.32K zip) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  julia object problems (+5.32K zip) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: julia object problems (+5.32K zip)
Date: 20 Aug 1998 22:07:52
Message: <35dcc868.0@news.povray.org>
I was thinking of playing around with the julia object, more specifically
with the more intriguing types (asinh, reciprocal etc.) However, aside from
sqr and cube (which render fine with both quaternions and hypercomplex), no
fractal would render! I had queued 19 animations 100 frames each for the
night and in the morning a single pixel hasn't been rendered. POV was busy
(99% kernel processor usage), but a) it reported 0 pps and b)it stopped
rendering about 3 minutes after I pressed Alt-G. Next time I exit from POV
the pvengine rendering thread was still in memory. I tried this on many
fractals but with the same results. I am using Win95 on a K6/200 32 RAM. I
used the following POV versions:

3.02 for Win95 (watcom, Pentium optimised)
POVISO
TMPOV
POVPRO
POV with Pentium Pro optimisations a friend compiled with MSVC5.0

Any ideas?

Ah, yes, attached is the code in question

--Peter

pet### [at] usanet

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'juliabug.zip' (6 KB)

> I was thinking of playing around with the julia object, more specifically
> with the more intriguing types (asinh, reciprocal etc.) However, aside from
> sqr and cube (which render fine with both quaternions and hypercomplex), no
> fractal would render! I had queued 19 animations 100 frames each for the
> night and in the morning a single pixel hasn't been rendered. POV was busy
> (99% kernel processor usage), but a) it reported 0 pps and b)it stopped
> rendering about 3 minutes after I pressed Alt-G. Next time I exit from POV
> the pvengine rendering thread was still in memory. I tried this on many
> fractals but with the same results. I am using Win95 on a K6/200 32 RAM. I
> used the following POV versions:
>
> Any ideas?
> Ah, yes, attached is the code in question
>
> --Peter

One suggestion. move the camera back so it's no longer
inside of the fractal. Pov reports an error message that
the camera is inside of a non-hollow object. I moved
the camera back to z*-50 just to see what would happen
and the scene rendered to 45% without problems. That is
to say once it hit 45% I presumed I had figured out your
problem and didn't bother rendering the rest of your scene.

hooe I've been of some help to you in your dilemma.

K.Tyler