POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: 3.1beta Bug Report Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.1beta Bug Report (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: 3.1beta Bug Report
Date: 2 Aug 1998 12:05:55
Message: <35c48053.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35C40ADB.514AD812@pacbell.net> , "K. Tyler" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>   When rendering large files, both in physical size and memory
>usage, Pov 3.1 and for that matter 3.01, render to the last line
>(99%)and then crashes with an invalid page fault. My example is a
>scene file that is 17 megs has 123k objects and uses a peak
>memory usage of 61 megs. This is not the first time it has
>happened. In fact it seems to happen on a regular basis where
>large files are concerned.

Its nothing personal, but can you please mark windows bug reports as such - the Mac
version has a nice GUI as well, and it is very confusing to read your message and
somewhere in it find to out that its a windows only problem. And downloading it with
an image takes some time (and cost some money :-)
BTW, maybe windows bug reports better fit in the window section of this newsgroup?

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

> >   When rendering large files, both in physical size and memory
> >usage, Pov 3.1 and for that matter 3.01, render to the last line
> >(99%)and then crashes with an invalid page fault. My example is a
> >scene file that is 17 megs has 123k objects and uses a peak
> >memory usage of 61 megs. This is not the first time it has
> >happened. In fact it seems to happen on a regular basis where
> >large files are concerned.
>
> Its nothing personal, but can you please mark windows bug reports as such - the Mac
version has a nice GUI as well, and it is very confusing to read your message and
somewhere in it find to out that its a windows only problem. And downloading it with
an image takes some time (and cost some money :-)
> BTW, maybe windows bug reports better fit in the window section of this newsgroup?
>
> Thorsten

Mac POV-Ray3.1 beta5 remains bug in mesh.
Would you please test this file,but beta 4 made crash.
Y.Tanabe
Kobe,Japan

// ==== Standard POV-Ray Includes ====
#include "colors.inc"	// Standard Color definitions
#include "textures.inc"	// Standard Texture definitions
// ==== Additional Includes ====
// Don't have all of the following included at once, it'll cost memory
and time
// to parse!
#include "CHARS.INC"    // A complete library of character objects, by
Ken Maeno
#include "CONSTS.INC"   // Various constants and alias definitions
#include "FINISH.INC"   // Some basic finishes
#include "GLASS.INC"    // Glass textures
#include "GOLDS.INC"    // Gold textures
#include "METALS.INC"   // Metallic pigments, finishes, and textures
#include "RAD_DEF.INC"  // Some common radiosity settings
#include "SHAPES.INC"   // Standard objects from POV-Ray's earlier days
#include "SHAPES2.INC"  // Useful, but seldom used shapes
#include "SHAPESQ.INC"  // Pre-defined quartic shapes
#include "SKIES.INC"    // Ready defined sky spheres
#include "stars.inc"    // Some star fields
#include "stdcam.inc"   // Standard cameras
#include "STONES.INC"   // Binding include-file for STONES1 and STONES2
#include "STONES1.INC"  // Great stone-textures created by Mike Miller
#include "STONES2.INC"  // More, done by Dan Farmer and Paul Novak
#include "WOODMAPS.INC" // Basic wooden colormaps
#include "WOODS.INC"    // Great wooden textures created by Dan Farmer
and Paul Novak

light_source {<2,8,-10> color White }

background {color red 0 green 0 blue 1 }

camera
{
    location <-2.5,1.25,-11.5>
//    location <0,40,0>
   direction <0, 0, 2>          // Which way we are looking <X Y Z>
   up <0, 1, 0>                 // Which direction is   +up <X Y X>
   right <4/3, 0, 0>            // Which way is      +right <X Y Z>
   look_at <0, 1.5, 10>  // Point camera at this point(center of view)
}

#declare moon =
difference {
   sphere { <0,0,0>, 1 }
   cylinder { <-2,0,-2>, <-2,0,2>, 2 scale <2,1,1>}
}

#declare saturn =
union {
   sphere { <0,0,0>,1 }
   difference {
      cylinder { <0,-.01,0>, <0,.01,0> ,1.5 }
      cylinder { <0,-1,0>, <0,1,0> ,1.2 }
      rotate <0,0,23>
   }
}

#declare tine =
mesh {
   // insert Diamond shape here.
   triangle { <0,0,0>, <-.2,.2,0> ,<0,.2,-.2> }
   triangle { <0,0,0>, <.2,.2,0>, <0,.2,-.2> }
   triangle { <0,.2,-.2> ,<-.2,.2,0>, <0,1,0> }
   triangle { <0,.2,-.2> ,<.2,.2,0>, <0,1,0> }
}

#declare starz =
union {
   object {tine}
   object {tine rotate <0,0,72>}
   object {tine rotate <0,0,144>}
   object {tine rotate <0,0,216>}
   object {tine rotate <0,0,288>}
   scale 1.5
}

#declare flame = cone { <0,1.1,0>, .2 ,<0,1.5,0>, .01 }

#declare sun =
union {
   sphere { <0,0,0>, 1 }
   #declare XX=0;
   #while (XX<360)
      object { flame rotate <0,0,XX> }
      #declare XX=XX+30;
   #end // while
}

   object { moon translate <-3,3,0> texture { T_Silver_4A }}
   object { saturn translate <0,3,0> texture { T_Silver_4A }}
   object { starz translate <-3,0,0> texture { T_Silver_4A }}
   object { sun texture { T_Silver_4A }}

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Aug 1998 17:25:13
Message: <35c4cb29.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35C### [at] khrimorjp> , "Y.Tanabe" <tec### [at] khrimorjp> wrote:

>Mac POV-Ray3.1 beta5 remains bug in mesh.
>Would you please test this file,but beta 4 made crash.
>Y.Tanabe
>Kobe,Japan

I will see if (and why) it crashes. If it does not crash on my Mac this usually does
not mean that there is *no* bug, it will mean that it does not occure on my Mac, so if
you have the time, please fill out a Mac bug report form and send it to
pov### [at] compuservecom so Eduard and I can track it down together.

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Aug 1998 10:49:01
Message: <35c5bfcd.0@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Aug 1998 17:05:17 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich
<Tho### [at] csicom> wrote:
>BTW, maybe windows bug reports better fit in the window section of this
>newsgroup?

Windows bugs go to win### [at] povrayorg, as stated in the windows docs.

I didn't see it before either, but Chris Young was nice enough to point out
to me that other bugs should go to his Compuserve address, as documented on
the page where you downloaded the beta.

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Date: 3 Aug 1998 11:19:27
Message: <35C5B8AE.80BC5CF9@pacbell.net>
Since I seem to have not followed the proper proceedures
for posting a bug report and trying to elicit responses from
other POV-Ray users that might also be having similar
problems I have cancled my bug report messages. In the
future I will just remain silent on the subject and hope others
will take the time to help improve it by letting the POV-Ray
team aware of problems.
I'm Sorry.

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Aug 1998 12:45:05
Message: <35c5db01.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Aug 1998 06:18:38 -0700, K. Tyler <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>Since I seem to have not followed the proper proceedures
>for posting a bug report and trying to elicit responses from
>other POV-Ray users that might also be having similar
>problems I have cancled my bug report messages. In the
>future I will just remain silent on the subject and hope others
>will take the time to help improve it by letting the POV-Ray
>team aware of problems.

You seem to have missed the point.  While we as other users love to see
bug reports, it doesn't help the POV-Team when you post them here, because
they're too busy working on POV to waste time reading every message that gets
posted, even to their own news server.  It certainly doesn't hurt anything
to post bug reports here (though you should probably put binary attachments
in one of the binaries groups) but it doesn't get the bug fixed either.  To
get that done, you must send the bug report to a responsible party as well.

In my never humble opinion, if you're not going to take the responsibility
to report bugs, you shouldn't be allowed to use the beta.

For bugs in the windows port: win### [at] povrayorg

For bugs in the POV code itself: 767### [at] compuservecom

See Thorsten's post above for the Mac bug address.

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Date: 4 Aug 1998 09:21:04
Message: <35C6EE6F.47279839@pacbell.net>
For the record I sent in an offical bug report to win### [at] povrayorg
but will stick to my dicision not to post any more to this news group.

K.Tyler

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 5 Aug 1998 18:55:20
Message: <35C8BCF7.7BA4DF84@bigfoot.com>
K. Tyler wrote:

> For the record I sent in an offical bug report to win### [at] povrayorg
> but will stick to my dicision not to post any more to this news group.

You are free to do whatever you like, though it is a shame to close your doors to
the ones who appreciated your input in there just because you received some not
very helpful criticism.Yet if you listen to the criticism carefully, it first said
it would have been nicer if you had warned you were reporting a windows bug as it
would have saved someone lots of time.

I will not ask you to continue or discontinue posting your bug reports here, I just
wanted to let you know that simply because you see one reaction does not mean
everybody thinks along the same lines. Any contribution will always be helpful, a
better contribution will be even more helpful.

Cheers, enjoy your own decision whatever it is,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Date: 5 Aug 1998 19:59:56
Message: <35C8D5AB.708946F5@pacbell.net>
Alain CULOS wrote:

> You are free to do whatever you like, though it is a shame to close your doors to
> the ones who appreciated your input in there just because you received some not
> very helpful criticism.Yet if you listen to the criticism carefully, it first said
> it would have been nicer if you had warned you were reporting a windows bug as it
> would have saved someone lots of time.
>
> I will not ask you to continue or discontinue posting your bug reports here, I just
> wanted to let you know that simply because you see one reaction does not mean
> everybody thinks along the same lines. Any contribution will always be helpful, a
> better contribution will be even more helpful.
>
> Cheers, enjoy your own decision whatever it is,
> Al.

    My decision to not post bug reports here are not based so much on
my personal feelings but instead based on the reality of protocol. After
reading Chris Young's reply's to bug reports over on c.g.r.r. I came to
realize that this really is not the forum for such discussion. Further more
to squawk publicly here about problems with pov and expect something
positive to come of it is really a naive and non-productive attitude.
Nothing will come of it so why expend the energy.
    So I did what, I thought, would do the most good for me as a user
and hopefully the benefit of others. And that was to stop the thread and
go through official channels like I should have in the first place.
    On the other hand in the future if I have an opinion on a feature I
don't like, or the way some new function is introduced that seems
whacky, I will enlist support from the voices of the many. At that time
you may certainly anticipate me posting to this, or whatever appropriate
newsgroup,  in CAPITOL letters decrying the injustices we must suffer
as users of this expensively free software that doesn't offer all the options
a $25,000 dollar commercial package has.

Until then ...

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain CULOS
Date: 6 Aug 1998 18:40:22
Message: <35CA1A10.71D1D87B@bigfoot.com>
K. Tyler wrote:

>     On the other hand in the future if I have an opinion on a feature I
> don't like, or the way some new function is introduced that seems
> whacky, I will enlist support from the voices of the many. At that time
> you may certainly anticipate me posting to this, or whatever appropriate
> newsgroup,  in CAPITOL letters decrying the injustices we must suffer
> as users of this expensively free software that doesn't offer all the options
> a $25,000 dollar commercial package has.

Is that sarcasm or a sort of third degree humour I don't have enough of something to
understand ?
Again, it's a pitty you should close your doors just because a few push to get them
closed, when so many just like them open but don't speak up much.

Cheers again,
Al.