POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Planetary Heightfields: Now what? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Planetary Heightfields: Now what? (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Simon de Vet
Subject: Planetary Heightfields: Now what?
Date: 24 Aug 1998 13:11:13
Message: <35E19EF2.B57448B@istar.ca>
I've found tons of great heightmaps for planets, and moons at
http://bang.lanl.gov/solarsys/eng/homepage.htm

Since I've been playing around with planets lately, I'd love to use some
of these, as heightfields, or bumpmaps for spheres.

Problem: It uses a weird colour scale, that does not convert to
greyscale properly.

Any advice on using these?

(BTW: Look under Mars or Venus for good high res examples)

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

Post a reply to this message

> I've found tons of great heightmaps for planets, and moons at
> http://bang.lanl.gov/solarsys/eng/homepage.htm
>
> Since I've been playing around with planets lately, I'd love to use some
> of these, as heightfields, or bumpmaps for spheres.
>
> Problem: It uses a weird colour scale, that does not convert to
> greyscale properly.
>
> Any advice on using these?
>
> (BTW: Look under Mars or Venus for good high res examples)
>
> Simon
> http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

  Isn't there some palette included on this great page of yours? If not, you
could ask the creator for it. He should thank you for the advice.
JK

Post a reply to this message