POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on large scenes ? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Advice on large scenes ? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Lothar Esser
Subject: Advice on large scenes ?
Date: 28 Apr 1998 12:58:13
Message: <35460AA5.41C6@chop.swmed.edu>
Dear Colleagues,

  I wonder if someone can give me some advice as to how to optimize
povray to render very large scenes. My scene contains about 250000 frame
level objects and povray allocates about 800 MB. Needless to say that
the computer is running out of disk space (swap space) as soon as
anything else but povray runs on it. So far I am just doing some tests
but I anticipate a few crashes while povray is rendering the final
scene. Since parsing of the input takes about 1 hour and time is rather
limited I guess my question is whether it is possible to speed up at
least the parsing process. Is there a way to save the parsed scene in a
binary file so that one can re-use it after a crash ? ( I am using
povray 3.0 )

Any other thoughts ?

  Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

   Lothar Esser

Dr. Lothar Esser
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas Texas 75235-9050
E-mail : ess### [at] chopswmededu

>  I wonder if someone can give me some advice as to how to optimize
>povray to render very large scenes. My scene contains about 250000 frame
>level objects and povray allocates about 800 MB. Needless to say that
>the computer is running out of disk space (swap space) as soon as
>anything else but povray runs on it.

How much free disk do you have? Is adding another drive an option?
Defrag, as IIRC win can't use fragmented space for it's swapfile.

Post a reply to this message

> >  I wonder if someone can give me some advice as to how to optimize
> >povray to render very large scenes. My scene contains about 250000 frame
> >level objects and povray allocates about 800 MB. Needless to say that
> >the computer is running out of disk space (swap space) as soon as
> >anything else but povray runs on it.
>
> How much free disk do you have? Is adding another drive an option?
> Defrag, as IIRC win can't use fragmented space for it's swapfile.

  More disk space sounds like the answer. However if small gains are valuable
you might try DOS version if you are using rather than using windows.  It
says in the documentation that it is faster. (Is this true?)

Roger

Post a reply to this message