POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glowing spheres Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Glowing spheres (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Neil Grant
Subject: Glowing spheres
Date: 12 Feb 1998 17:17:24
Message: <34E374F3.4E41FD9B@lineone.net>
Hi,
How can I make a sphere glow in Povray like the warp engines in
Startrek?

Neil

Post a reply to this message

From: Saint-Cyr Gilles
Subject: Re: Glowing spheres
Date: 12 Feb 1998 21:41:38
Message: <34E3B2E1.4F47020E@cam.org>
Hi,
You can use a halo with a spheric container.
The following exemple is taken from the section 4.8.5.2 of the
documentation.

sphere { 0, 1.5
    pigment { color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 1> }
    halo {
      glowing //emitting
      spherical_mapping
      linear
      turbulence 0.5
      color_map {
        [ 0 color rgbt <0, 1, 0,  1> ]
        [ 1 color rgbt <1, 0, 0, -1> ]
      }
      samples 10
      scale 0.75
    }
    hollow
    scale 1.5
  }
 We have to remember:

The container sits at the origin, preferably, it's unit size, it has to
be transparent.
If we use turbulence, we have to make sure that the container is large
enough to contain the halo. The halo and the container are two different
entities.
If we adequatly  choose the mapping type it is less difficult to obtain
what we want.