POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Double Helix Making Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Double Helix Making (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Zack Halbrecht
Subject: Double Helix Making
Date: 23 Feb 1970 17:06:18
Message: <01bd40a5$4d18e2e0$17ab0680@zack>
What im doing is essentially making a strand of DNA. ive got my spheres as
molecules of A,C,G,T and a bar connecting them.  They are being generated
by a while loop.  Its all working fine but i cant rotate them properly.

i was trying to use a rotation and then a translation to get the 2 spheres
and bar in line with the rest of them but that will only work for certain
angles and then i would have to figure out the translation again.

Anyone have a  general formula? Im looking for some sort of sinusoidal
equation i think.  Just cant put two and two together.

so if the camera was directly atop the strand of DNA and the desired angle
was 90 degrees it would look like this

0=====0

i know this is damn confusing.  if anyone wants to see the source let me
know and ill email it.

Thanks so much

--
Zack Halbrecht
Head Procrastinator

Post a reply to this message

"Zack Halbrecht" <zac### [at] edenrutgersedu> writes:

> What im doing is essentially making a strand of DNA. ive got my spheres as
> molecules of A,C,G,T and a bar connecting them.  They are being generated
> by a while loop.  Its all working fine but i cant rotate them properly.
>
> i was trying to use a rotation and then a translation to get the 2 spheres
> and bar in line with the rest of them but that will only work for certain
> angles and then i would have to figure out the translation again.

Perhaps I'm getting you wrong, but why not do it like this

union {
  #declare step=0
  #while (step<max_step)
    union {
      sphere { <-10,step,0>, 1 pigment { color your_color } }
      sphere { < 10,step,0>, 1 pigment { color your_color } }
      cylinder { <-10,step,0>, <10,step,0>, 0.5 pigment { color your_color } }
      rotate 10*step*y
    }
    #declare step = step+1
  #end
  scale ...
  rotate ...
  translate ...
}

This is just to give you an idea. Of course you have to fill in the colors
and adjust the sizes of the object.

I hope this helps

ThW

--