POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:01:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 May 2021 06:40:00
Message: <web.609baf702344a9a11f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

Thanks for those instructions.  It's always good to get a few people to recount
their installation commands from scratch to see if there are some small
important details.

Those dependencies are a good case in point.

> It might be that the process of compiling v3.8 is quite similar to this.

Probably.  I gave it a whirl with qtpovray, way back when, and what is in my
history is this:

sudo apt install git qt5-qmake qt5-default libboost-dev libboost-date-time-dev
libboost-thread-dev libz-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libopenexr-dev
git clone https://github.com/dickbalaska/qtpovray.git && git checkout qtpovray
&& qmake && make -j4

But then I think Dick Balaska whacked me upside the head and said "Listen, it's
as simple as:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:qtpovray/qtpovray
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
qtpovray
"

> I see now that you mention installation of official POV-Ray. The process above
> will, of coarse, always make and install an unofficial version.
>
> Are you aware of any official prebuilt binary for x86_64 Linux PCs ?

At the outset of _this_ installation thread, I went looking around, and found
that

sudo apt-get install povray

actually worked  :O  Which is lovely, because it can hardly get any easier than
that, excepting buying it pre-installed on the laptop.

So, I'm guessing that's an already compiled binary?

Thanks again for your review and commentary - always appreciated.