On 3/15/21 11:11 AM, Chris Cason wrote:
> On 16/03/2021 01:24, Ash Holsenback wrote:
>> On 3/15/21 10:00 AM, Chris Cason wrote:
>>> It will take some time to audit all the PHP code for side-effects as
>>> we've gone from PHP5 to PHP7 (plus all the database calls have to be
>>> changed as the mysql driver was dropped in favor of mysqli in PHP7).
>> i knew there would be some pain there... i suppose that's why i'm not
>> getting any response from wiki yet.
> That's a whole different kettle of fish, unfortunately. The wiki, texlib
> and a few other things run in FreeBSD jails (an OS/process abstraction)
> that have their own completely separate set of files (basically the
> entire operating system). While I technically could try running them
> as-is (iffy as we've gone from 32 to 64-bitOS) it's certain that there
> would be a bit of mucking around. If I decide to upgrade them to the
> latest tools then all the PHP code in there has to be audited as well.
last time i touched wikidocgen i was running php7 on my machine so i
have /some/ confidence, however i've not kept up with mediawiki changes
so i don't know what's in store for that... i'm most fearful of table
name changes. didn't that bite us in the ass last time we upgraded?
we /do/ have a most recent sql dump correct? i haven't ran a mediawiki
on my machine in a while. do you think there's some value in seeing if i
can get that running to see if we can even get it to import?
> Realistically, for the wiki, unless it's possible to force it to run
> with the old php and apache binaries, we'd have no choice but to upgrade
> the entire mediawiki codebase to something current as it's way to big to
> manually audit/change each place the database is used.
i would be surprised if the former... i /think/ we both know where this
Post a reply to this message