POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : 3.2.8.7 Anti-Aliasing Options -- a small correction? Server Time
18 Mar 2024 22:44:36 EDT (-0400)
  3.2.8.7 Anti-Aliasing Options -- a small correction? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Kenneth
Subject: 3.2.8.7 Anti-Aliasing Options -- a small correction?
Date: 7 Feb 2018 06:00:03
Message: <web.5a7adb8d7ca46d5da47873e10@news.povray.org>
3.2.8.7 Anti-Aliasing Options (also in the wiki)

Underneath the 'recursive super-sampling' diagram, it says...
"Note: The maximum number of samples in the recursive case is hardly ever
reached for a given pixel. If the recursive method is used with no anti-aliasing
each pixel will be the average of the rays traced at its corners. In most cases
a recursion level of three is sufficient."

"...If the recursive method is used with no anti-aliasing ..."  ??  Uh, with NO
anti-aliasing? Maybe I'm not grasping what is meant there (and never have), but
that sounds illogical (?) It has been in the docs forever, so even now I was
hesitating to mention it; but it has always seemed strange to me.

In the wiki:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Anti-Aliasing_Options

Post a reply to this message

> 3.2.8.7 Anti-Aliasing Options (also in the wiki)
>
> Underneath the 'recursive super-sampling' diagram, it says...
> "Note: The maximum number of samples in the recursive case is hardly ever
> reached for a given pixel. If the recursive method is used with no anti-aliasing
> each pixel will be the average of the rays traced at its corners. In most cases
> a recursion level of three is sufficient."
>
> "...If the recursive method is used with no anti-aliasing ..."  ??  Uh, with NO
> anti-aliasing? Maybe I'm not grasping what is meant there (and never have), but
> that sounds illogical (?) It has been in the docs forever, so even now I was
> hesitating to mention it; but it has always seemed strange to me.
>
> In the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Anti-Aliasing_Options

That,s for +am2.
I think that it mean that if the anti-aliasing threshold is not
reatched, then you get the average of those 4 sub-pixels with no further
subsampling.

Post a reply to this message