POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : wiki Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  wiki (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: SharkD
Subject: wiki
Date: 30 Jun 2008 22:15:00
Message: <web.4869926422cddc0677ac57cf0@news.povray.org>
I was wondering what the plans were for porting the documentation over to the
wiki. Can this be done programatically?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: wiki
Date: 1 Jul 2008 12:08:32
Message: <486a5680$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:11:48 -0400, SharkD wrote:

> I was wondering what the plans were for porting the documentation over
> to the wiki. Can this be done programatically?

I'd talked with Chris about this early on in the wiki project, and he
very graciously sent me a bunch of files and some code used for some of
the conversions; life got really busy for me, though, and I haven't had a
chance to look at it much.

The doc itself is in a type of markup that *should* be translatable to
Wiki format - the challenge is making the translation bidirectional (so
the updated doc in the wiki can be re-exported and converted to the other
formats again).

I was hoping things would slow down for me in March, as they usually do,
but this year has been quite unpredictable for me.  In years past, I'd
get to the weekend and have energy to do other projects, but this year so
far, I've just been exhausted at the end of each week.

What I need to do is take a vacation and work on it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:11:48 -0400, SharkD wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what the plans were for porting the documentation over
> > to the wiki. Can this be done programatically?
>
> I'd talked with Chris about this early on in the wiki project, and he
> very graciously sent me a bunch of files and some code used for some of
> the conversions; life got really busy for me, though, and I haven't had a
> chance to look at it much.
>
> The doc itself is in a type of markup that *should* be translatable to
> Wiki format - the challenge is making the translation bidirectional (so
> the updated doc in the wiki can be re-exported and converted to the other
> formats again).
>
> I was hoping things would slow down for me in March, as they usually do,
> but this year has been quite unpredictable for me.  In years past, I'd
> get to the weekend and have energy to do other projects, but this year so
> far, I've just been exhausted at the end of each week.
>
> What I need to do is take a vacation and work on it.
>
> Jim

If I have time later I might bump this thread and try my hand at it myself (if
you don't mind). I've done language conversions once or twice before using
regular expressions. However, if I'm expected to start from scratch I will
choose to use languages I'm more conversant in such as WScript (Windows only)
or Lua, rather than Perl as one might expect or prefer.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message