POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Is blurred reflection possible in POV-Ray Server Time
19 Mar 2024 05:55:00 EDT (-0400)
  Is blurred reflection possible in POV-Ray (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Is blurred reflection possible in POV-Ray
Date: 12 Feb 2018 22:11:04
Message: <5a825748$1@news.povray.org>
This topic is in

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_13

There should be an additional mention of not using the averaged normals
approach, but using a single normal plus focal blur and antialiasing.

Clipka talks about this approach here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C5a8191e7%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Quote:
 > You need:
 >
 > (1) A way to randomize the reflection. A `normal` statement with a very
 > small scale does nicely.
 >
 > (2) A way to force POV-Ray to shoot a high number of rays per pixel
 > where the randomized reflection is. A small bit of focal blur (with high
 > quality settings) does nicely.
 >
 > Together this gives you nice blurred reflections at a (hopefully)
 > reasonable speed.

The code I used is this:

	texture
	{
		pigment { InPigment }
		finish { InFinish }
		normal { InNormal }
		normal {bumps BlurAmount scale 0.01}
	}

along with some focal blur and antialiasing.

I'm not sure how the section should be worded however.

Mike