POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Inconsistencies in how patterns are grouped by section in docs. Server Time
19 Mar 2024 06:05:57 EDT (-0400)
  Inconsistencies in how patterns are grouped by section in docs. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Inconsistencies in how patterns are grouped by section in docs.
Date: 28 Mar 2017 10:11:10
Message: <58da6efe$1@news.povray.org>
I happened to run across these sections today which are listed at the
bottom of the page:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pattern

Some inconsistencies therein and I suggest the following changes in
where and how patterns are listed in the subsections :

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:General_Patterns
--------------------
agate
boxed
bozo
brick - Move to Discontinuous_Patterns
bumps
cubic
crackle - (note "solid keyword makes discontinuous")
cylindrical
density_file - Move to Special_Patterns
dents
facets  - Move to Discontinuous_Patterns
fractal
function
gradient
granite
hexagon - Remove. Already listed in Discontinuous_Patterns
leopard
marble
onion
pavement - Move to Discontinuous_Patterns
pigment_pattern - Move to Special_Patterns
planar
potential - Add as not today listed and new to 3.7.1
quilted
radial
ripples
spherical
spiral1
spiral2
spotted
square - Remove. Already listed in Discontinuous_Patterns
tiling - Move to Discontinuous_Patterns
waves
wood
wrinkles

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Discontinuous_Patterns
(Perhaps call these Discrete-Region Patterns?)
--------------------
cells
checker
crackle (note "when used with solid keyword")
hexagon
object
pavement - Move here from General
square
tiling - Move here from General
triangular

Add a note something like:
"Parts of the pavement and tiling patterns are discontinuous or clamped
while other parts ramp."

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Normal-Dependent_Patterns
--------------------
aoi
facets  - Move here from general
slope

Need to strike the general sentence:
"As such, these patterns are suitable for object normals only."
for perhaps:
"The facets pattern can only be used in a normal statement."

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Special_Patterns
--------------------
average
density_file - Move here from General
image
pigment_pattern - Move here from General

Thanks.
Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 3/28/2017 10:11 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Some inconsistencies therein and I suggest the following changes in
> where and how patterns are listed in the subsections :

http://wiki.povray.org/content?title=Special:RecentChanges&hidebots=0

Post a reply to this message

On 03/30/2017 08:53 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 3/28/2017 10:11 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>> Some inconsistencies therein and I suggest the following changes in
>> where and how patterns are listed in the subsections :
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content?title=Special:RecentChanges&hidebots=0

Much better, thanks!
Bill P.