POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : System output type (S), aka sys, supported only on windows I believe. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  System output type (S), aka sys, supported only on windows I believe. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: System output type (S), aka sys, supported only on windows I believe.
Date: 9 Dec 2016 13:25:56
Message: <584af734$1@news.povray.org>
On the page:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options

we talk about :

.. S System-specific format: See the notation at the end of this section.

and at the end of the section we have this:

Note: System-specific or type "s" output file format is being retained
for legacy support reasons. Windows and Unix mapping remains the same,
BMP and TGA respectively, however on Macintosh it has been changed to
PNG, and a warning is issued when type "s" is used.

+FS or Output_File_Type=S die outright for syntax on my linux Ubuntu
machine in 3.7 and 3.71 master.

When I look at the code the only platform where I see build support (the
right set of #declares) to get image sys image support is windows. I see
no indication of a warning being generated in any case,
but perhaps I missed it in the code.

I think the note should read something like:

Note: System-specific or type "s" output file format is being retained
for legacy support reasons on the Windows versions of POV-Ray and the
type remains BMP.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Just because you do not see any code supporting "s" on other platforms now, does
not mean it was not there in the past. That is the point about legacy support
after all ;-) The documentation is correct.

> On the page:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options
>
> we talk about :
>
> .. S System-specific format: See the notation at the end of this section.
>
> and at the end of the section we have this:
>
> Note: System-specific or type "s" output file format is being retained
> for legacy support reasons. Windows and Unix mapping remains the same,
> BMP and TGA respectively, however on Macintosh it has been changed to
> PNG, and a warning is issued when type "s" is used.
>
> +FS or Output_File_Type=S die outright for syntax on my linux Ubuntu
> machine in 3.7 and 3.71 master.
>
> When I look at the code the only platform where I see build support (the
> right set of #declares) to get image sys image support is windows. I see
> no indication of a warning being generated in any case,
> but perhaps I missed it in the code.
>
> I think the note should read something like:
>
> Note: System-specific or type "s" output file format is being retained
> for legacy support reasons on the Windows versions of POV-Ray and the
> type remains BMP.
>
> Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 12/09/2016 02:07 PM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Just because you do not see any code supporting "s" on other platforms now, does
> not mean it was not there in the past. That is the point about legacy support
> after all ;-) The documentation is correct.

Alright, Thanks.

Bill P.