POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : looks_like suggestion Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  looks_like suggestion (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: looks_like suggestion
Date: 8 Sep 2016 00:46:20
Message: <57d0ed1c$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/

On this page it says:

"It is a good idea to define both things, the light source and the
looks_like object, at the origin, and then translate them to their right
place."

However, this is *not* a good idea for parallel light sources. Doing so
causes the light to emit from the light source's original position (the
origin) instead of the later position.

Post a reply to this message

On 9/8/2016 12:46 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>
> On this page it says:
>
> "It is a good idea to define both things, the light source and the
> looks_like object, at the origin, and then translate them to their right
> place."
>
> However, this is *not* a good idea for parallel light sources. Doing so
> causes the light to emit from the light source's original position (the
> origin) instead of the later position.

Oops. I didn't realize the reference was for an old versions of POV-Ray.
I have no idea if the newer reference has fixed this mistake or not.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 9/8/2016 12:46 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>
> On this page it says:
>
> "It is a good idea to define both things, the light source and the
> looks_like object, at the origin, and then translate them to their right
> place."
>
> However, this is *not* a good idea for parallel light sources. Doing so
> causes the light to emit from the light source's original position (the
> origin) instead of the later position.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_7

This section only shows an example of how *not* to properly set up the
looks_like section. It should explain how to do it *correctly* too. But
I don't know what is correct.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Le 16-09-08 à 00:58, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 9/8/2016 12:46 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>>
>> On this page it says:
>>
>> "It is a good idea to define both things, the light source and the
>> looks_like object, at the origin, and then translate them to their right
>> place."
>>
>> However, this is *not* a good idea for parallel light sources. Doing so
>> causes the light to emit from the light source's original position (the
>> origin) instead of the later position.
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_7
>
> This section only shows an example of how *not* to properly set up the
> looks_like section. It should explain how to do it *correctly* too. But
> I don't know what is correct.
>

> Mike

The looks_like object is always centered at the light's location.
So, you should create your light_source at any location while
constructing the looks_like object around the origin.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 16-09-08 à 00:58, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> On 9/8/2016 12:46 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/137/
>>>
>>> On this page it says:
>>>
>>> "It is a good idea to define both things, the light source and the
>>> looks_like object, at the origin, and then translate them to their right
>>> place."
>>>
>>> However, this is *not* a good idea for parallel light sources. Doing so
>>> causes the light to emit from the light source's original position (the
>>> origin) instead of the later position.
>>
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_7
>>
>> This section only shows an example of how *not* to properly set up the
>> looks_like section. It should explain how to do it *correctly* too. But
>> I don't know what is correct.
>>

>> Mike
>
> The looks_like object is always centered at the light's location.
> So, you should create your light_source at any location while
> constructing the looks_like object around the origin.

Can I update the wiki page with the additional information? I already
have a wiki account, and am logged in, but the article is locked.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 09.09.2016 um 00:07 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Can I update the wiki page with the additional information? I already
> have a wiki account, and am logged in, but the article is locked.

You should be able to post the suggested new wording on the respective
"Discussion" page; if it's ok, Jim can copy it from there.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 09.09.2016 um 00:07 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> Can I update the wiki page with the additional information? I already
>> have a wiki account, and am logged in, but the article is locked.
>
> You should be able to post the suggested new wording on the respective
> "Discussion" page; if it's ok, Jim can copy it from there.

Okay, I suggested my changes here:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference_Talk:Light_Source

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 9/8/2016 6:51 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 9/8/2016 6:28 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 09.09.2016 um 00:07 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> Can I update the wiki page with the additional information? I already
>>> have a wiki account, and am logged in, but the article is locked.
>>
>> You should be able to post the suggested new wording on the respective
>> "Discussion" page; if it's ok, Jim can copy it from there.
>>

> Okay, I suggested my changes here:

Well that section was awkward to begin with ... since it was so short I
just rewrote the whole thing:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Source#Looks_Like

I also renamed /that/ and one other section for consistency reasons

Post a reply to this message