POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Bounding_Threshold error in the wiki Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:55:47 EDT (-0400)
  Bounding_Threshold error in the wiki (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Bounding_Threshold error in the wiki
Date: 14 Mar 2014 07:35:00
Message: <web.5322e7fdefd82465c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
I was going through the on-line wiki (the Reference section) and noticed an old
bit of info that needs updating: On the 'Tracing Options' page, under 'Automatic
Bounding Control', it states that the default Bounding_Threshold is 25. The
value is actually 3, and has been since v3.61 days IIRC. (I don't know about
v3.7, though; has the default been re-upped to 25??)

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Render_Block_Size

As an aside: With today's computers being so fast, it would seem that
Bounding_Threshold's default could actually be changed to *zero*-- or, perhaps
as a more radical step, Bounding_Threshold itself could be deprecated. Is it
still a useful parameter? I remember that there was some debate about this in
the newsgroups, in the not-*too*-distant past.

Post a reply to this message

> I was going through the on-line wiki (the Reference section) and noticed an old
> bit of info that needs updating: On the 'Tracing Options' page, under 'Automatic
> Bounding Control', it states that the default Bounding_Threshold is 25. The
> value is actually 3, and has been since v3.61 days IIRC. (I don't know about
> v3.7, though; has the default been re-upped to 25??)
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Render_Block_Size
>
> As an aside: With today's computers being so fast, it would seem that
> Bounding_Threshold's default could actually be changed to *zero*-- or, perhaps
> as a more radical step, Bounding_Threshold itself could be deprecated. Is it
> still a useful parameter? I remember that there was some debate about this in
> the newsgroups, in the not-*too*-distant past.

thanks ... as it turns out the docs are incorrect, but in a "teaching
moment" (thanks Chris) a bug was discovered. If the option is not set
the value of "3" is reported, but "1" actually gets used. i'm going to
log a bug report.

Post a reply to this message