POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 09:40:31 EDT (-0400)
  Why I won't enter PoVComp again. (Message 41 to 50 of 99)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
Date: 25 Feb 2005 11:25:12
Message: <421f5168$1@news.povray.org>
"emkaah" <emkaah@yahoodotcom> wrote in message
news:421f47f7$1@news.povray.org...

> Why can't you enjoy the competition with a top prize? I don't know if
> *most of us* would like a competition with simply a free poster for the
> winner. Although it is healthy to set your goal realistically (a place in
> the top 10 or top 20, for example), a big prize gives a good incentive to
> give it your best (top 10 would be ok, but winning is better:) ). Winning
> a competition where judging is involved mostly incorporates a bit of luck
> anyway (although in POVcomp the winner is apparent, in most competitions
> the top five can be very close).
>
> As you say most people enjoy the New York Marathon, while there are hefty
> prizes to win.
>
> http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/prizemoney.html
>
> So, I repeat, why can't you enjoy POVcomp with a top prize?

I did enjoy it.  :-)

Other people apparently didn't. :-(

My point was simply that these large prizes elevated this competition to a
level that we are not used to seeing around here.  The number of entrants
was relatively small.

We've had a similar turn-out for the IRTC, which doesn't even have prizes
anymore.  Sure, I would have liked to have won, and I'm sure that's why we
had many of our top POVers competing.  But almost all of those people have
also competed in the IRTC, for nothing.  Much less pressure and (when taken
as a whole) has produced comparable images.  Something bridging the gap
between the two competitions seems ideal to me.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com