POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : transmit does not work with image maps Server Time
18 May 2024 14:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  transmit does not work with image maps (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: transmit does not work with image maps
Date: 2 May 2024 05:02:08
Message: <66335690$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/21/24 12:35, Kenneth wrote:
> When using 'transmit all' with typical jpeg and png images, there is an
> unfortunate mix of flaws in both official v3.7.0 and in the v3.8 betas--
> different kinds of problems in each, especially with alpha-channel images

Thanks for the reminder on the overall read image transparency status.
Your understanding closely matches mine.

I'll add there remain in v3.8+ long term issues with gif files coming in
with a transparent index. Where someone specifies 'filter all' or
'transmit all' - or a specific index reference matching the one assigned
to 'full' transparency. In such cases the transparent index becomes
"milky" - toward whatever RGB values are sitting in the gif-transparent

There are too problems with sparse gif index usage getting remapped by
POV-Ray to more compressed indexes during the gif read. The latter issue
making it iffy to make color channel changes by index entry over the
adjustments by specifically indexed colors.

Aside: I've had thoughts of a .df3 variation making use of the animated
gif format internally - for compressed df3s.

Anyhow... :-)

Bill P.