POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : TGA Alpha channel Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:44:38 EDT (-0400)
  TGA Alpha channel (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Ton
Subject: TGA Alpha channel
Date: 5 Feb 2021 19:45:00
Message: <web.601de5a761b9256174b337b70@news.povray.org>
I'm playing with Gilles Tran MakeCloud macro, and the output from tga2df3 didn't
look like a cloud.
After some investigation I found that the TGA output file is confused.
When I use -UA, povray says: makecloud2001.tga, 24 bpp Targa, but the output
file contains an alpha channel (every fourth byte is 0xFF).
When I use +UA, povray says: makecloud2001.tga, 32 bpp with alpha Targa, but
this time I don't have the alpha channel, and tga2df3 generates a cloud.

My povray version is POV-Ray 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial, and UberPOV 1.37.1.0
has the same problem.

I couldn't find any mention of this in the newsgroups, but if people are aware
then I apologize for rubbing it in again.

Cheers
Ton.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm playing with Gilles Tran MakeCloud macro, and the output from tga2df3 didn't
> look like a cloud.
> After some investigation I found that the TGA output file is confused.
> When I use -UA, povray says: makecloud2001.tga, 24 bpp Targa, but the output
> file contains an alpha channel (every fourth byte is 0xFF).
> When I use +UA, povray says: makecloud2001.tga, 32 bpp with alpha Targa, but
> this time I don't have the alpha channel, and tga2df3 generates a cloud.
>
> My povray version is POV-Ray 3.8.0-x.10064738.unofficial, and UberPOV 1.37.1.0
> has the same problem.

I believe I see it in my povr branch based off v3.8.

To a quick verification .png output is OK, but .tga files look backward
to the +UA/-UA control... The reported information looks too at the
control setting and not at what actually got written.

I'm tired. I'll try and run the issue down tomorrow.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 2/6/21 3:06 PM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 2/5/21 7:41 PM, Ton wrote:
>> When I use +UA, povray says: makecloud2001.tga, 32 bpp with alpha
>> Targa, but
>> this time I don't have the alpha channel, and tga2df3 generates a cloud.

> I believe I see it in my povr branch based off v3.8.

> I'm tired. I'll try and run the issue down tomorrow.

As bugs go, a relatively easy one. :-)

In the file: source/base/image/targa.cpp and the function Write:

bool opaque = options.AlphaIsEnabled();

should be:

bool opaque = !options.AlphaIsEnabled();

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> In the file: source/base/image/targa.cpp and the function Write:
>
> bool opaque = options.AlphaIsEnabled();
>
> should be:
>
> bool opaque = !options.AlphaIsEnabled();
>
> Bill P.

That sure was a simple solution, thanks Bill.

Cheers
Ton.

Post a reply to this message