POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : The '#box' directive doesn't give error at parse time Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  The '#box' directive doesn't give error at parse time (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Warren
Subject: The '#box' directive doesn't give error at parse time
Date: 8 Feb 2020 07:25:01
Message: <web.5e3ea7f491eea37d5a5c2bce0@news.povray.org>
Hello/Hi,

While I was making a new scene with POVRay, I found (by sheer luck) something
weird, with the following scene:

#version 3.7;

global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }

background{ color srgb 1 }

camera{
    location < 1, 1, -2 >
    look_at <0, 0.5, 0>
}

light_source{ < 1, 2, -3 > * 1000000 color srgb 1 }

#box{< 0, 0, 0>, < 1, 7/47, 1 > pigment{ color srgb < 1, 1, 0> } }

//End of file

In this .pov file you can notice there's that '#box' keyword that doesn't
prevent the POVRay parser from making a new image (I can see a yellow box in a
white background). Before I report that bug , I wondrered if there was a
preprocessor keyword in the Scene Description Language which name is box, but I
didn't find anything in google or qwant. The above scene has been tested with
povray 3.7.0.8 unofficial and povray 3.8.0 alpha unofficial both compiled with
g++-9.2.0. The end line type of the scene file is CRLF and working renders were
done with "Lubuntu 19.10 eoan ermine".

Post a reply to this message

> While I was making a new scene with POVRay, I found (by sheer luck) something
> weird, with the following scene:
>
> #version 3.7;
>
> global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }
>
> background{ color srgb 1 }
>
> camera{
>     location < 1, 1, -2 >
>     look_at <0, 0.5, 0>
> }
>
> light_source{ < 1, 2, -3 > * 1000000 color srgb 1 }
>
> #box{< 0, 0, 0>, < 1, 7/47, 1 > pigment{ color srgb < 1, 1, 0> } }
>
> //End of file
>
> In this .pov file you can notice there's that '#box' keyword that doesn't
> prevent the POVRay parser from making a new image (I can see a yellow box in a
> white background). Before I report that bug , I wondrered if there was a
> preprocessor keyword in the Scene Description Language which name is box, but I
> didn't find anything in google or qwant. The above scene has been tested with
> povray 3.7.0.8 unofficial and povray 3.8.0 alpha unofficial both compiled with
> g++-9.2.0. The end line type of the scene file is CRLF and working renders were
> done with "Lubuntu 19.10 eoan ermine".

I remember reading (in one of the newsgroup posts) about an issue/bug regarding
the '#default {}' directive, which also works without the '#'.  fwiw:

#version 3.7;
#global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }
#background{ color srgb 1 }
#camera{
    location < 1, 1, -2 >
    look_at <0, 0.5, 0>
}
#light_source{ < 1, 2, -3 > * 1000000 color srgb 1 }
#box{< 0, 0, 0>, < 1, 7/47, 1 > pigment{ color srgb < 1, 1, 0> } }

too renders the image (3.8.0-alpha.10064268.unofficial).

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message