POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : sphere slicing problem Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:45:29 EDT (-0400)
  sphere slicing problem (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: sphere slicing problem
Date: 18 Oct 2019 12:25:15
Message: <5da9e76b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/10/2019 à 19:20, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> does not for me.  :-(  I get solid (filled) circles, not rings.
>
> Ah.
>
>> that may not always be an option.  the idea is to slice arbitrary objects
>> (suitably scaled + positioned).  the object may not always be my own work
>> though.
>
> Sounds like that ex-post facto texturing lots of people would like...

what about then, using cutaway_texture ?

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Cutaway_Textures

I have a feeling it was made for these people.

> try using 2 "clipped_by" objects instead of an intersection?
>
> I really never use that command - so maybe others have advice.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Oct 2019 13:20:00
Message: <web.5da9f3fb401c58094eec112d0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> what about then, using cutaway_texture ?
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Cutaway_Textures
>
> I have a feeling it was made for these people.

Aha.  That looks very nice indeed.   I'm not sure if I ever knew about that one,
or it just got lost in the noise.   Thanks very much for pointing that one out -
another nice feature that could probably use an example scene just to show it
off and make it more memorable.

Thanks, Jerome!   :)

Post a reply to this message

> Le 14/10/2019 à 19:20, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> > "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >> does not for me.  :-(  I get solid (filled) circles, not rings.
> > Ah.
> >> that may not always be an option.  the idea is to slice arbitrary objects
> >> (suitably scaled + positioned).  the object may not always be my own work
> >> though.
> > Sounds like that ex-post facto texturing lots of people would like...
>
> what about then, using cutaway_texture ?

hey, thanks.  like Bald Eagle, I had not seen this "object modifier" before.
alas, adding it seems to make no discernable difference to what I now get.  in
accordance withe the reference, I changed the "slice" to:
box {p1, p2 hollow no_reflection no_shadow
  texture {pigment {srgbt 1}}
  interior_texture {pigment {srgbt 1}}
}

and use it in:
intersection {
  object {O}
  object {S}
  cutaway_texture
  double_illuminate
}

with "tight" antialias settings in the .ini this gives reasonably good results.

however, _the_ problem is the "pathological" case of parallel-to-camera, as Bill
P identified when he asked "what happens with a box".  I'm currently wondering
whether using a perspective camera for "difficult" shapes mightn't be better.
and for shapes like spheres + tori I may get milage our of lowering the vertical
resolution (ie thicker slices).

> I have a feeling it was made for these people.

and in reply to Bald Eagle:

the Lohmueller tip is confusing.  haven't tried yet but the documentation is
quite clear that the direction vector is not used with prthographic cameras.
have you come across working code which utilises the "trick"?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

adding it seems to make no discernable difference to what I now get.

I don't think he was suggesting it would - he was just commenting on my "ex post
facto" differencing comment.  That's a whole different story.

> however, _the_ problem is the "pathological" case of parallel-to-camera, as Bill
> P identified when he asked "what happens with a box".  I'm currently wondering
> whether using a perspective camera for "difficult" shapes mightn't be better.
> and for shapes like spheres + tori I may get milage our of lowering the vertical
> resolution (ie thicker slices).

This almost makes me wonder if you can do some sort of weird wide-angle /
panoramic render and then re-map it with --- for lack of a better understanding
and proper vocabulary - an anamorphic camera

> the Lohmueller tip is confusing.  haven't tried yet but the documentation is
> quite clear that the direction vector is not used with prthographic cameras.
> have you come across working code which utilises the "trick"?

I believe you can just make a simple animation of a camera getting closer and
closer to a shape with a gradient pigment along the object-camera axis.  Maybe
slightly off-axis, so that you can see the effect better.

The camera will start to exclude all of the parts of the object "behind" it, and
you'll effectively get a slicing effect.
I've done this plenty of times by accident when setting up scenes with the
orthographic camera.

Post a reply to this message

> adding it seems to make no discernable difference to what I now get.
>
> I don't think he was suggesting it would - he was just commenting on my "ex post
> facto" differencing comment.  That's a whole different story.

</blush>  misread.  apologies.

> > however, _the_ problem is the "pathological" case of parallel-to-camera, as Bill
> > P identified when he asked "what happens with a box".  I'm currently wondering
> > whether using a perspective camera for "difficult" shapes mightn't be better.
> > and for shapes like spheres + tori I may get milage our of lowering the vertical
> > resolution (ie thicker slices).
>
> This almost makes me wonder if you can do some sort of weird wide-angle /
> panoramic render and then re-map it with --- for lack of a better understanding
> and proper vocabulary - an anamorphic camera

I can see what you mean but that's way beyond my .. pay grade.

ideally there'd be a simple way of, say, using a (slightly) offset perspective
camera, and relating that angle to some compensating factor to approximate the
orthographic equivalent (a bit like an effect using a matrix to slant/skew an
object, then reversing that).

> > the Lohmueller tip is confusing.  haven't tried yet but the documentation is
> > quite clear that the direction vector is not used with prthographic cameras.
> > have you come across working code which utilises the "trick"?
> I believe you can just make a simple animation of a camera getting closer and
> closer to a shape with a gradient pigment along the object-camera axis.  Maybe
> slightly off-axis, so that you can see the effect better.
> The camera will start to exclude all of the parts of the object "behind" it, and
> you'll effectively get a slicing effect.
> I've done this plenty of times by accident when setting up scenes with the
> orthographic camera.

:-)  yes, I too have found myself .. inside, unexpectedly.  anyway, the
"remainder" would still need to be cut/sliced, so it looks like using a box to
intersect seems unavoidable.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message