POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Not a Bug but Like a Bug: rendering a part and errors Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Not a Bug but Like a Bug: rendering a part and errors (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Not a Bug but Like a Bug: rendering a part and errors
Date: 18 Jan 2016 12:20:42
Message: <569d1eea$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

imagine you have rendered a scene completely. Then you make so me
changes, and want - in order to avoid lots of render time - to render
just an area (a part) of the scene by selecting that area inside the
render window.

If you didn't make any errors in scene writing, fine. You get your area
render.

But if you made any error, POV-Ray of course quits with an error
message, but also unfortunately your previously rendered complete (or
partial) scene disappears, you cannot select any area again inside the
now empty render window, and are forced to render the entire scene again
just to have selectable areas again (if you didn't write down the area
coordinates with paper and pen). That costs a lot of time. my last full
render took 6 days!!!

My advise: allow the render window to keep the last successful render.
Or make it possible to load last-rendered images (via dropdown) into it.

Post a reply to this message

Am 18.01.2016 um 18:20 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Hi,
>
> imagine you have rendered a scene completely. Then you make so me
> changes, and want - in order to avoid lots of render time - to render
> just an area (a part) of the scene by selecting that area inside the
> render window.
>
> If you didn't make any errors in scene writing, fine. You get your area
> render.
>
> But if you made any error, POV-Ray of course quits with an error
> message, but also unfortunately your previously rendered complete (or
> partial) scene disappears, you cannot select any area again inside the
> now empty render window, and are forced to render the entire scene again
> just to have selectable areas again (if you didn't write down the area
> coordinates with paper and pen). That costs a lot of time. my last full
> render took 6 days!!!
>
> My advise: allow the render window to keep the last successful render.
> Or make it possible to load last-rendered images (via dropdown) into it.

My advise: Whenever you want to render a subsection of an image "for
realz" rather than just for a quick render, make it a habit of using the
shift key while selecting the area; this will copy the corresponding
parameters into the command-line field, from where you can back them up
to any other medium you like.

The world around you does provide you with some assistance for not
shooting yourself in the foot. Be wise and actively use it, rather than
putting the blame on others when you later do find yourself with a
perforated limb.

That said, if you ever /do/ forget to press shift, selecting the message
pane and clicking "render" will re-run the last render, including
"quiet" subsection settings.

Post a reply to this message