POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
23 Sep 2021 23:39:54 EDT (-0400)
  Granite_21 - the final macro (Message 1 to 3 of 3)  
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Granite_21 - the final macro
Date: 5 Sep 2021 07:41:33
Message: <6134aced@news.povray.org>
The final version of Granite_21 is here.

The attached zip file contains everything you need. Particular attention 
has been paid to the documentation and two versions are offered: a PDF 
version and a HTML version. They are identical except for some layout 
constraints and you can use whichever you prefer.

To get acquainted, start with the Granite_21_demo.pov scene file. This 
is a simple scene which demonstrates the straightforward use of the 
macro and its different parameters, applied to a couple of simple objects.

One way or another, the whole POV-Ray community has contributed to the 
initiation and building of this macro. Two people need special thanks: 
Bald Eagle, who on a regular basis asked relevant questions and 
contributed significant solutions. He was instrumental too in the 
writing of the documentation which is why he co-authors this document. 
The second person is jr. He guided me through the css and html arcane 
knowledge during the building of the web pages.

The macro is intended for POV-Ray version 3.8 and higher. In its present 
form, the macro cannot be used by earlier versions. The choice for this 
has been a difficult one but was finally made because of very necessary 
and useful array structures which are only provided starting with 
version 3.8. It is not always possible nor, maybe, advisable, to stick 
to backward compatibility at all cost.

One thing is still missing though: a comprehensive HowTo for building 
your own granites materials. I need more time to work on this and 
include a number of ideas I still have on the back-burner.

Because I am already thinking about Granites_22.

In the coming months I shall probably be less present in these ng's 
(Real Life) but I shall try to answer all questions and try to solve 
issues where necessary.

I sincerely hope that Granite_21 answers all your expectations.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'granite_21.zip' (4181 KB)

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
Date: 5 Sep 2021 14:30:00
Message: <web.61350bd5b21f010c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> One way or another, the whole POV-Ray community has contributed to the
> initiation and building of this macro. Two people need special thanks:
> Bald Eagle, who on a regular basis asked relevant questions and
> contributed significant solutions. He was instrumental too in the
> writing of the documentation which is why he co-authors this document.
> The second person is jr. He guided me through the css and html arcane
> knowledge during the building of the web pages.

Thanks, Thomas.  You've done a masterful job with your implementation of so many
features into this material {}, and I think this is a surface texturing example
that is very thorough and professional.   Hopefully it inspires further
development of other challenging textures and materials, and maybe a revisiting
of other excellent textures developed by some of the very talented members of
the POV-Ray community over the years.

jr is a real workhorse, with an impressive skill set, and a thirst for attacking
new projects with gusto.  I'm glad the three of us got to network and
collaborate on this so that the whole package - macro, example scenes, and
documentation are as good as we could make them given the usual constraints of
time and energy.


> One thing is still missing though: a comprehensive HowTo for building
> your own granites materials.

It will be interesting to see how others come up with independent methods of
constructing new patterns and color maps.  You've already created quite a
selection of nice materials to serve as examples of how it all works.

> Because I am already thinking about Granites_22.

But of course you are  :D


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
Date: 6 Sep 2021 03:10:00
Message: <web.6135be2fb21f010c5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> > One way or another, the whole POV-Ray community has contributed to the
> > initiation and building of this macro. Two people need special thanks:
> > Bald Eagle, who on a regular basis asked relevant questions and
> > contributed significant solutions. He was instrumental too in the
> > writing of the documentation which is why he co-authors this document.
> > The second person is jr. He guided me through the css and html arcane
> > knowledge during the building of the web pages.

cheers, a pleasure.


> Thanks, Thomas.  You've done a masterful job with your implementation of so many
> features into this material {}, and I think this is a surface texturing example
> that is very thorough and professional.   Hopefully it inspires further
> development of other challenging textures and materials, and maybe a revisiting
> of other excellent textures developed by some of the very talented members of
> the POV-Ray community over the years.

agree, inspiring work.  (and fingers crossed)



> jr is a real workhorse, with an impressive skill set, and a thirst for attacking
> new projects with gusto.

heh, I have a C.V. now ?!  :-)



>  I'm glad the three of us got to network and
> collaborate on this so that the whole package - macro, example scenes, and
> documentation are as good as we could make them given the usual constraints of
> time and energy.

yes.  speaking for myself -- quality time, thanks to both of you.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.