POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea Server Time
28 Oct 2021 14:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea (Message 11 to 13 of 13)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: jr
Subject: Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea
Date: 12 Jun 2021 19:15:00
Message: <web.60c53f184995f0ef5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> On 6/9/21 11:46 AM, jr wrote:
> > ...
> > may be 'xwd' (and 'xwud') can help?  not sure how you'd automate the syncing
> > though.
>
> Yeah, maybe. A long while back now, I did play a little with xwd - stand
> alone just snapping a paused preview window. Hit some issue that looked
> to be related to quantization or a shift of color values. I could not
> quickly sort it and I dropped the work - work that's been on the floor a
> long while now. In truth it's 'play' down my list at the moment -
> though(1) ;-).
>
> I 'believe' in rtr much of the work needed to create an output image is
> still done for each frame, perhaps I just need to figure out how to
> pause and trigger a write to unique output files. ...

had a look at the xwd-1.0.6 source and modified (quick hack) the main function
to create N files from the given window.  no syncing though, adding another
option to specify a delay after each file might help a little.  patch attached
just in case, but anyway, it would be a "crutch" at best.

tested a couple of times with small number frames, running a 'povr' with the
command-line given in 'rtr_kla.pov'.  then the modified 'xwd' ('-nfrm' + '-out'
required):

  $ ./xwd -nfrm 10 -out /tmp/foo -name "POV-Ray (povr) 3.8 povr X11 "

creates '/tmp/foo_00.xwd' etc.  I used 'xv' for visual check:

  $ xv /tmp/foo*.xwd

(curiously, could only identify 'povr' window name + class, but no id shown)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'wfp_xwd1.txt' (4 KB)

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea
Date: 14 Jun 2021 06:35:17
Message: <60c730e5$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/12/21 7:12 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,
> 
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> On 6/9/21 11:46 AM, jr wrote:
>>> ...
...
> 
> had a look at the xwd-1.0.6 source and modified (quick hack) the main function
> to create N files from the given window.  no syncing though, adding another
> option to specify a delay after each file might help a little.  patch attached
> just in case, but anyway, it would be a "crutch" at best.
> 
> tested a couple of times with small number frames, running a 'povr' with the
> command-line given in 'rtr_kla.pov'.  then the modified 'xwd' ('-nfrm' + '-out'
> required):
> 
>    $ ./xwd -nfrm 10 -out /tmp/foo -name "POV-Ray (povr) 3.8 povr X11 "
> 
> creates '/tmp/foo_00.xwd' etc.  I used 'xv' for visual check:
> 
>    $ xv /tmp/foo*.xwd
> 
> (curiously, could only identify 'povr' window name + class, but no id shown)
> 
...

Interesting. Thanks. I've captured your patch and this post to a sub 
directory of my jr_causing_trouble directory... :-)

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea
Date: 14 Jun 2021 15:55:00
Message: <web.60c7b2fc4995f0ef5e0fed26cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> ...
> Interesting. Thanks. I've captured your patch and this post to a sub
> directory of my jr_causing_trouble directory... :-)

</grin>  perhaps amend directory name to and_posting_buggy_code!  found one (the
first?), the "if .. else if' in 'mkFname' need ">=" operators (or literals + 1,
or 'last - 1').


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.