POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Space Cargo (WIP) for Logo Planet Server Time
14 Apr 2024 14:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Space Cargo (WIP) for Logo Planet (Message 1 to 10 of 11)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Space Cargo (WIP) for Logo Planet
Date: 3 Mar 2024 10:35:43
Message: <65e498cf@news.povray.org>
Using Silo, I am slowly building a space cargo ship, still in a very 
early WIP stage. Two views here, back and front, above a simple planet.

The greebles are generated by Zeger Knaepen's "metal hull panels" 
textures from 2009. I never was able to use his parametric greebles 
macros unfortunately; too complex and often with miscellaneous bugs I am 
unable to trace to their origin. However, this works perfectly for my 
purpose.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spacecargo_test_01a.png' (407 KB) Download 'spacecargo_test_01b.png' (402 KB)

Preview of image 'spacecargo_test_01a.png'
spacecargo_test_01a.png

Preview of image 'spacecargo_test_01b.png'
spacecargo_test_01b.png


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP) for Logo Planet
Date: 5 Mar 2024 03:00:00
Message: <web.65e6d02d562bbe74bee99afe6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Using Silo, I am slowly building a space cargo ship, still in a very
> early WIP stage. Two views here, back and front, above a simple planet.
> ...

liking the stern view.  nice concept.  cheers.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP) for Logo Planet
Date: 5 Mar 2024 07:16:19
Message: <65e70d13@news.povray.org>
Op 5-3-2024 om 08:56 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Using Silo, I am slowly building a space cargo ship, still in a very
>> early WIP stage. Two views here, back and front, above a simple planet.
>> ...
> 
> liking the stern view.  nice concept.  cheers.
> 
Thanks jr. Yes, the stern, and especially the thrust nozzles, are 
satisfying. Surprisingly simple too: I wanted to use media, but in the 
end I got this white-hot effect by using a high emission value on the 
bottom end of the nozzles. This nicely corresponds to some SF 
illustrations I had looked at earlier to get inspiration ;-)

Back to the workshop now. Much yet to do.
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 8 Mar 2024 08:49:55
Message: <65eb1783@news.povray.org>
Next WIP version of the fore view, with cosmonaut for scale (I don't 
remember where I found this one...)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spacecargo_test.png' (397 KB)

Preview of image 'spacecargo_test.png'
spacecargo_test.png


 

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 9 Mar 2024 13:25:36
Message: <65eca9a0$1@news.povray.org>
Il 08/03/2024 14:49, Thomas de Groot ha scritto:
> Next WIP version of the fore view, with cosmonaut for scale (I don't 
> remember where I found this one...)
> 

I like the design of the cargo.
If you need to move a very heavy container, you can also use up to six 
ships combined powers... ;-)

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 9 Mar 2024 13:42:09
Message: <65ecad81@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 08.03.24 14:49, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Next WIP version of the fore view, with cosmonaut for scale (I don't 
> remember where I found this one...)
> 

Nice greebling! But how did you do the colour bleeding? RGB values above 
1? The bird's head-shaped cockpit looks somewhat weird, given the fact 
that such craft operate well outside any atmosphere. And... a COSMOnaut? 
Are you sure?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

-- 
VBI BENE, IBI BACTRIA!


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 10 Mar 2024 08:22:01
Message: <65eda5e9$1@news.povray.org>
Op 9-3-2024 om 19:42 schreef Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann:
> Nice greebling! But how did you do the colour bleeding? RGB values above 
> 1? The bird's head-shaped cockpit looks somewhat weird, given the fact 
> that such craft operate well outside any atmosphere. And... a COSMOnaut? 
> Are you sure?
> 
Thanks Yadgar, and comments very to the point indeed:
- the color bleeding is done by emission color:
material {
   texture {
     pigment {rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>}
     finish {
       specular 0 roughness 0.001
       emission rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>*5
       diffuse  1
       reflection {0} conserve_energy
     }
   }
}

- cockpit: Agreed. This is weird and I have no good reason to keep it thus.

- the cosmonaut is their for scale. He will disappear eventually ;-)


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 10 Mar 2024 10:04:17
Message: <65edbde1$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-03-10 à 08:22, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 9-3-2024 om 19:42 schreef Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann:
>> Nice greebling! But how did you do the colour bleeding? RGB values 
>> above 1? The bird's head-shaped cockpit looks somewhat weird, given 
>> the fact that such craft operate well outside any atmosphere. And... a 
>> COSMOnaut? Are you sure?
>>
> Thanks Yadgar, and comments very to the point indeed:
> - the color bleeding is done by emission color:
> material {
>    texture {
>      pigment {rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>}
>      finish {
>        specular 0 roughness 0.001
>        emission rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>*5
>        diffuse  1
>        reflection {0} conserve_energy
>      }
>    }
> }
> 
> - cockpit: Agreed. This is weird and I have no good reason to keep it thus.
> 
> - the cosmonaut is their for scale. He will disappear eventually ;-)
> 
> 
Maybe that beak contain some sensors or other equipment that need to be 
located up front...


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 11 Mar 2024 03:14:22
Message: <65eeaf4e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 09/03/2024 om 19:25 schreef Paolo Gibellini:
> 
> I like the design of the cargo.
> If you need to move a very heavy container, you can also use up to six 
> ships combined powers... ;-)
> 
Thanks Paolo. Yes, you are correct. I had not thought as far as that yet :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Space Cargo (WIP 2) for Logo Planet
Date: 11 Mar 2024 03:19:26
Message: <65eeb07e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 10/03/2024 om 15:04 schreef Alain Martel:
> Le 2024-03-10 à 08:22, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>> Op 9-3-2024 om 19:42 schreef Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann:
>>> Nice greebling! But how did you do the colour bleeding? RGB values 
>>> above 1? The bird's head-shaped cockpit looks somewhat weird, given 
>>> the fact that such craft operate well outside any atmosphere. And... 
>>> a COSMOnaut? Are you sure?
>>>
>> Thanks Yadgar, and comments very to the point indeed:
>> - the color bleeding is done by emission color:
>> material {
>>    texture {
>>      pigment {rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>}
>>      finish {
>>        specular 0 roughness 0.001
>>        emission rgb <0.50, 1.00, 1.00>*5
>>        diffuse  1
>>        reflection {0} conserve_energy
>>      }
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> - cockpit: Agreed. This is weird and I have no good reason to keep it 
>> thus.
>>
>> - the cosmonaut is their for scale. He will disappear eventually ;-)
>>
>>
> Maybe that beak contain some sensors or other equipment that need to be 
> located up front...

Yeah... well, I was not really happy with it in the first place, so I 
chopped it off.

I forgot to mention that the colour bleeding texture is applied to the 
end part of the nozzle only. the sides have less extreme textures.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.