POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Golden Chinese Dragon Server Time
18 Jun 2024 20:00:23 EDT (-0400)
  Golden Chinese Dragon (Message 1 to 6 of 6)  
From: Colin Fleming
Subject: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 15 Aug 2023 17:15:00
Message: <web.64dbe9bf1863ffdb3719716c93be1c3d@news.povray.org>
A nice Golden Chinese Dragon converted from OBJ format to POV-Ray with PoseRay
v3.  I initially had converted the OBJ file with Win3DS2POV by Thomas Baier, but
it didn't pick up the dragon scale texture.

What I didn't anticipate was the shadow to be this green!  The light source does
have a hint of green and the ground plane is copper, which you can see in the
reflection.

A happy mistake!


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'goldenchinesedragon.png' (2918 KB)

Preview of image 'goldenchinesedragon.png'
goldenchinesedragon.png


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 17 Aug 2023 05:05:00
Message: <web.64dde1ed95fad97a80c03e9d6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Colin Fleming" <Colin Fleming> wrote:
> A nice Golden Chinese Dragon converted ...

so agree.  :-)


> A happy mistake!


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 17 Aug 2023 07:36:37
Message: <64de0645$1@news.povray.org>
Op 15-8-2023 om 23:10 schreef Colin Fleming:
> A nice Golden Chinese Dragon converted from OBJ format to POV-Ray with PoseRay
> v3.  I initially had converted the OBJ file with Win3DS2POV by Thomas Baier, but
> it didn't pick up the dragon scale texture.
> 
> What I didn't anticipate was the shadow to be this green!  The light source does
> have a hint of green and the ground plane is copper, which you can see in the
> reflection.
> 
> A happy mistake!

The golden texture is gorgeous. The ground plane has a couple of 
problems imho: It needs a bit of "structure" while its reflectiveness is 
so high it makes the dragon almost floating in space instead of reposing 
on a solid surface. I would suggest using a discrete micro-normal 
combined with a bit less reflectiveness. Maybe an area_light for softer 
shadows?

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Colin Fleming
Subject: Re: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 17 Aug 2023 21:10:00
Message: <web.64dec49e95fad97a5a34bd8993be1c3d@news.povray.org>
Thanks Thomas,

The ground plane is being over saturated by the sky sphere that I used.

Here is the same image with the same ground plane and texture (pigment, normal,
finish), but this time the only change is the sky sphere.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'dragon6_scene14.png' (956 KB)

Preview of image 'dragon6_scene14.png'
dragon6_scene14.png


 

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 17 Aug 2023 21:25:00
Message: <web.64dec77b95fad97a1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Colin Fleming" <Colin Fleming> wrote:

> Here is the same image with the same ground plane and texture (pigment, normal,
> finish), but this time the only change is the sky sphere.

It's better, but the up-close water being out-of-focus still throws it off.
Also, I'll bet that if you used an HDRI probe with radiosity, rather than the
usual light_source and sky_sphere, that thing would POP!

- BW


Post a reply to this message

From: Colin Fleming
Subject: Re: Golden Chinese Dragon
Date: 18 Aug 2023 17:15:00
Message: <web.64dfde3995fad97af10b8eb193be1c3d@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Also, I'll bet that if you used an HDRI probe with radiosity, rather than the
> usual light_source and sky_sphere, that thing would POP!

The zip file does contain a HDRI image, but I couldn't get the gold texture to
shine the way I wanted.  I have tried radiosity, but it takes a lot longer than
area lights.

If anyone is interested you can find the dragon on cgtrader.com:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/architectural/decoration/dra-3f303305-d8c2-4d97-af19-349244428356

The ZIP file also contains a Blender image, but I'm not proficient with Blender.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.