POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Shallows -Work in progress Server Time
30 Nov 2022 05:46:46 EST (-0500)
  The Shallows -Work in progress (Message 1 to 10 of 23)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 25 Sep 2022 10:48:57
Message: <63306a59@news.povray.org>
Hereby two images showing the progress made on The Shallows. The first 
image (The Shallows I_test3) shows the improved textures applied to the 
body of the trolley within a simplified scene version. In particular, I 
used an almost forgotten macro I wrote back in 2014 to simulate peeling 
paint. At the time, this macro  inspired William Pokorny to develop his 
incredible isosurface version of peeling paint, which I warmly recommend 
to your attention:
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C53f07727%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=435041&toff=100

Presently however, I just used an expanded version of my own macro.

The image also shows the use of Christoph Hormann's isowood for the 
railway ties. https://www.imagico.de/iso_wood_en.php
It was surprisingly easy to implement within Friedrich Lohmueller's 
track macros and, other surprise, it just does not increase render time! 
I used one single tie which I rotated through four different positions 
the alternation of which simulates different ties. I am not entirely 
sure about the colour of the wood. That is, after all, the most 
complicated part of isowood.

The second image (The Hallows_trolley) shows more particularly the 
aspect of the trolley texture at this moment.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'the shallows i_test3.jpg' (140 KB) Download 'the shallows_trolley.jpg' (196 KB)

Preview of image 'the shallows i_test3.jpg'
the shallows i_test3.jpg

Preview of image 'the shallows_trolley.jpg'
the shallows_trolley.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 25 Sep 2022 11:59:17
Message: <63307ad5@news.povray.org>
A version with scratches on the tracks and the wheels.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'the shallows i_test3a.jpg' (115 KB)

Preview of image 'the shallows i_test3a.jpg'
the shallows i_test3a.jpg


 

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 25 Sep 2022 12:04:51
Message: <63307c23$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-09-25 à 10:48, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Hereby two images showing the progress made on The Shallows. The first 
> image (The Shallows I_test3) shows the improved textures applied to the 
> body of the trolley within a simplified scene version. In particular, I 
> used an almost forgotten macro I wrote back in 2014 to simulate peeling 
> paint. At the time, this macro  inspired William Pokorny to develop his 
> incredible isosurface version of peeling paint, which I warmly recommend 
> to your attention:
>
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C53f07727%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=435041&toff=100

> 
> 
> Presently however, I just used an expanded version of my own macro.
> 
> The image also shows the use of Christoph Hormann's isowood for the 
> railway ties. https://www.imagico.de/iso_wood_en.php
> It was surprisingly easy to implement within Friedrich Lohmueller's 
> track macros and, other surprise, it just does not increase render time! 
> I used one single tie which I rotated through four different positions 
> the alternation of which simulates different ties. I am not entirely 
> sure about the colour of the wood. That is, after all, the most 
> complicated part of isowood.
> 
> The second image (The Hallows_trolley) shows more particularly the 
> aspect of the trolley texture at this moment.
> 

The dormers are usually much darker. After all, those are normally 
soaked in creosote for several weeks before use.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 25 Sep 2022 13:40:00
Message: <web.633091fe62d5b00fecf5a77b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> A version with scratches on the tracks and the wheels.

uh, no (:-)).  the rails ought to remain "shiny" I think, and wear perhaps show
on part of the wheel shoulders; the "rust" is excellent in parts.  and, because
everyone's a critic, I'll point out that sleepers (the ones I know) aren't near
square, more like 2:1 width to height.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 26 Sep 2022 02:20:48
Message: <633144c0$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/09/2022 om 19:38 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> A version with scratches on the tracks and the wheels.
> 
> uh, no (:-)).  the rails ought to remain "shiny" I think, and wear perhaps show
> on part of the wheel shoulders; the "rust" is excellent in parts.  and, because
> everyone's a critic, I'll point out that sleepers (the ones I know) aren't near
> square, more like 2:1 width to height.
> 

Well, the interesting thing is that the photograph Bald Eagle referred 
to earlier, shows this kind of (micro) normals. I certainly overdid the 
effect here ;-) more subbtle effect might be better...

Concerning the sleepers: perspective effect! ;-) They are rectangular in 
cross-section.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 26 Sep 2022 02:24:01
Message: <63314581$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/09/2022 om 18:04 schreef Alain Martel:
> The dormers are usually much darker. After all, those are normally 
> soaked in creosote for several weeks before use.

Agreed. I have difficulty to get the right shade here within the isowood 
facility. Up to now, my attempts were not convincing enough. I shall 
continue tweaking.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 26 Sep 2022 08:06:48
Message: <633195d8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-09-26 à 02:23, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 25/09/2022 om 18:04 schreef Alain Martel:
>> The dormers are usually much darker. After all, those are normally 
>> soaked in creosote for several weeks before use.
> 
> Agreed. I have difficulty to get the right shade here within the isowood 
> facility. Up to now, my attempts were not convincing enough. I shall 
> continue tweaking.
> 
Start with a dark brown base. ALL the sleepers that I ever saw where 
dark brown to black.
With isowood, you can use a plain unpatterned pigment.


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 26 Sep 2022 14:00:00
Message: <web.6331e81762d5b00fecf5a77b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> ...
> > square, more like 2:1 width to height.

> Concerning the sleepers: perspective effect! ;-) They are rectangular in
> cross-section.

perspective, huh?  :-)  (still think they look quite tall)


> Well, the interesting thing is that the photograph Bald Eagle referred
> to earlier, shows this kind of (micro) normals. I certainly overdid the
> effect here ;-) more subbtle effect might be better...

would that be more noticeable where there would be less mechanical wear?


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 27 Sep 2022 02:39:27
Message: <63329a9f@news.povray.org>
Op 26/09/2022 om 19:57 schreef jr:
> hi,
> 
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> ...
>>> square, more like 2:1 width to height.
> 
>> Concerning the sleepers: perspective effect! ;-) They are rectangular in
>> cross-section.
> 
> perspective, huh?  :-)  (still think they look quite tall)
> 

An image telling more than any text... [attached image]

> 
>> Well, the interesting thing is that the photograph Bald Eagle referred
>> to earlier, shows this kind of (micro) normals. I certainly overdid the
>> effect here ;-) more subbtle effect might be better...
> 
> would that be more noticeable where there would be less mechanical wear?
> 

Where would that be? the whole (?) polished part of the track is subject 
to mechanical wear...

In any case, this is not so important imo. Hyperrealism is not my goal 
(never was). ;-)


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'rt_system_demo1.png' (264 KB)

Preview of image 'rt_system_demo1.png'
rt_system_demo1.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: The Shallows -Work in progress
Date: 27 Sep 2022 08:19:35
Message: <6332ea57@news.povray.org>
I guess I am about done concerning sleepers, rail tracks, and trolley 
textures. Here a view of those changes.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'the shallows i_test5.jpg' (124 KB)

Preview of image 'the shallows i_test5.jpg'
the shallows i_test5.jpg


 

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.