POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps Server Time
17 Aug 2022 13:42:35 EDT (-0400)
  3D Text with Sphere_sweeps (Message 10 to 19 of 19)  
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 23 Jun 2022 17:30:00
Message: <web.62b4d93618b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Have you considered blob-sweeps? You could use the .z in the vector for
> the strength of the blob.


This looks like a solution. If the b_spline function could be converted to SDL
in such a manner that it would generate points and corresponding diameters at
specific intervals (the distance between points would have to remain constant
regardless of the curvature) then a blob element could be placed at each point
and the diameter could be converted to a blob strength.

This works perfectly when the two character strokes that are intersecting each
other differ greatly in diameter but when their diameters are similar then a
little bump results so some tweaking would be necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion Ingo! Even if the b_spline math turns out to be beyond
my capabilities, I think you have provided a solution. More testing would be
necessary to make sure that tight turns don't cause blob elements to connect
that shouldn't connect.

Here's the test code that generated the sample image:

#local BlobStrength = array [2] {.8, .4}
#local DeltaTheta = .1;

blob {
   threshold 20
   #for (I, 0, 1)
      #for (Theta, 0, 360 - DeltaTheta, DeltaTheta)
         sphere {<cos (radians (Theta)) * 6 + 4 * (I * 2 - 1), sin (radians
(Theta)) * 6, 0>, BlobStrength [I], 1}
      #end //#for
   #end //#for
} //blob


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'blob.jpg' (83 KB)

Preview of image 'blob.jpg'
blob.jpg


 

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 23 Jun 2022 22:15:00
Message: <web.62b51dce18b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
Varying the radii works...


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'blob.jpg' (31 KB)

Preview of image 'blob.jpg'
blob.jpg


 

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 24 Jun 2022 02:44:33
Message: <62b55d51$1@news.povray.org>
Il 23/06/2022 23:27, Dave Blandston ha scritto:
 > ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
 >
 >> Have you considered blob-sweeps? You could use the .z in the vector for
 >> the strength of the blob.
 >
 >
 > This looks like a solution. If the b_spline function could be 
converted to SDL
 > in such a manner that it would generate points and corresponding 
diameters at
 > specific intervals (the distance between points would have to remain 
constant
 > regardless of the curvature) then a blob element could be placed at 
each point
 > and the diameter could be converted to a blob strength.
 >

Very nice!
Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 24 Jun 2022 03:22:55
Message: <XnsAEC05F6EB3AF9seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.62b4d93618b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org Dave 
Blandston wrote:

> If the b_spline function could be converted to SDL

Have a look at curve.zip https://ingoogni.nl/download/ it has cubic-bsline 
and beta spline, amongst others.

-- 
https://ingoogni.nl


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 24 Jun 2022 06:45:00
Message: <web.62b5952018b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Have a look at curve.zip https://ingoogni.nl/download/ it has cubic-bsline
> and beta spline, amongst others.


Oh wow that's really amazing! Arrays of arrays! Also the book referenced in the
file appears to be very well written. Thanks for sharing this. I will see if I
can make use of this code. As is often the case with POV-Ray, the limitation
will be my own limited intellect.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 24 Jun 2022 11:37:26
Message: <62b5da36$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-06-23 17:27 (-4), Dave Blandston wrote:
> ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> 
>> Have you considered blob-sweeps? You could use the .z in the vector for
>> the strength of the blob.
> 
> 
> This looks like a solution. If the b_spline function could be converted to SDL
> in such a manner that it would generate points and corresponding diameters at
> specific intervals (the distance between points would have to remain constant
> regardless of the curvature) then a blob element could be placed at each point
> and the diameter could be converted to a blob strength.
> 
> This works perfectly when the two character strokes that are intersecting each
> other differ greatly in diameter but when their diameters are similar then a
> little bump results so some tweaking would be necessary.
> 
> Thanks for the suggestion Ingo! Even if the b_spline math turns out to be beyond
> my capabilities, I think you have provided a solution. More testing would be
> necessary to make sure that tight turns don't cause blob elements to connect
> that shouldn't connect.

My SphereSweep module has two kinds of B-spline blob capability, so you
don't have to do any math.  And for the purists out there, it's all SDL.
 See if it's something you can use.

https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-SphereSweep


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 24 Jun 2022 21:20:00
Message: <web.62b662b918b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> My SphereSweep module has two kinds of B-spline blob capability, so you
> don't have to do any math.  And for the purists out there, it's all SDL.
>  See if it's something you can use.
>
> https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-SphereSweep


This will work for my project with some slight modifications - is that OK?
Specifically, I'll add one more argument to the SphereSweep_Blob_field () macro,
which is the blob threshold setting, and I'll need to modify the
SphereSweep_Blob_field () macro to allow multiple data sets/arrays to be
processed as one blob.

I recall seeing your airplane demo image quite a while ago and now that I'm
looking at the entire project I do recall its purpose - I wish I had remembered
it when I started my project! Thanks for pointing it out. After looking at your
code I see that it's extremely well-done and the documentation is exceptional. I
appreciate your efforts greatly.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 25 Jun 2022 11:52:35
Message: <62b72f43$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-06-24 21:19 (-4), Dave Blandston wrote:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>
>> https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-SphereSweep
> 
> 
> This will work for my project with some slight modifications - is that OK?

Of course, as long as you attach your name and the date that you made
the changes.  The license text is included with the download.

> I recall seeing your airplane demo image quite a while ago and now that I'm
> looking at the entire project I do recall its purpose - I wish I had remembered
> it when I started my project! Thanks for pointing it out. After looking at your
> code I see that it's extremely well-done and the documentation is exceptional. I
> appreciate your efforts greatly.

You're welcome!


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 25 Jun 2022 17:10:00
Message: <web.62b7790418b1901cb80481b2607c1b34@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> My SphereSweep module has two kinds of B-spline blob capability, so you
> don't have to do any math.  And for the purists out there, it's all SDL.
>  See if it's something you can use.


Success! I can't believe that what I needed already existed. Awesome Cousin
Ricky!


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'untitled.jpg' (117 KB)

Preview of image 'untitled.jpg'
untitled.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 26 Jun 2022 02:01:05
Message: <62b7f621$1@news.povray.org>
Op 25/06/2022 om 23:07 schreef Dave Blandston:
> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>> My SphereSweep module has two kinds of B-spline blob capability, so you
>> don't have to do any math.  And for the purists out there, it's all SDL.
>>   See if it's something you can use.
> 
> 
> Success! I can't believe that what I needed already existed. Awesome Cousin
> Ricky!

Wow! :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.