POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Egg shape formula Server Time
5 Jul 2022 20:46:09 EDT (-0400)
  Egg shape formula (Message 1 to 8 of 8)  
From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Egg shape formula
Date: 26 Apr 2022 09:50:00
Message: <web.6267f6f1eb48d888c7449d781749e915@news.povray.org>
As Cousin Ricky already mentioned, a video from Numberphile as been released
recently about an interesting formula to calculate the shape of an egg. I gave
it a try today and share the result with you, cf image below. I did it as a
macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:
https://baillehachepascal.dev/2022/egg.php

Pascal


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'egg.jpg' (213 KB)

Preview of image 'egg.jpg'
egg.jpg


 

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 26 Apr 2022 13:38:49
Message: <62682e29$1@news.povray.org>
Il 26/04/2022 15:45, BayashiPascal ha scritto:
 > As Cousin Ricky already mentioned, a video from Numberphile as been 
released
 > recently about an interesting formula to calculate the shape of an 
egg. I gave
 > it a try today and share the result with you, cf image below. I did 
it as a
 > macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
 > The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:
 > https://baillehachepascal.dev/2022/egg.php
 >
 > Pascal
 >
 >
Interesting work!

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 27 Apr 2022 15:25:00
Message: <web.6269987a29797c86cf1917686cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
> As Cousin Ricky already mentioned, a video from Numberphile as been released
> recently about an interesting formula to calculate the shape of an egg. I gave
> it a try today and share the result with you, cf image below. I did it as a
> macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
> The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:

the eggs look nice -- you missed Easter by just a few days.  :-)  had a look at
the blog post, could not see a link to "quick get" an archive, is copy+paste the
only option?


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 28 Apr 2022 12:25:00
Message: <web.626abfb329797c868d86850a6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
>
> I did it as a
> macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
> The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:

Nicely done!

Your explanation of the idea is very clear, and the comments in the code are
very useful. I shall refer to this in the future.

From your image, it appears that the various textures are uv-mapped onto the
eggs(?)-- but there is no uv_mapping in your code that I can find. Do you think
that your macro could make use of v3.8's 'lemon' or 'ovus' uv_mapping ability? I
have not yet used those features, so I do not know where the appropriate code
should be placed in your macro, or if it would work there.


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 29 Apr 2022 11:45:00
Message: <web.626c072729797c867808302a1749e915@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Il 26/04/2022 15:45, BayashiPascal ha scritto:
>  > As Cousin Ricky already mentioned, a video from Numberphile as been
> released
>  > recently about an interesting formula to calculate the shape of an
> egg. I gave
>  > it a try today and share the result with you, cf image below. I did
> it as a
>  > macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
>  > The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:
>  > https://baillehachepascal.dev/2022/egg.php
>  >
>  > Pascal
>  >
>  >
> Interesting work!
>
> Paolo

Thank you.

Pascal


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 29 Apr 2022 11:45:00
Message: <web.626c07c829797c867808302a1749e915@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
> > As Cousin Ricky already mentioned, a video from Numberphile as been released
> > recently about an interesting formula to calculate the shape of an egg. I gave
> > it a try today and share the result with you, cf image below. I did it as a
> > macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
> > The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:
>
> the eggs look nice -- you missed Easter by just a few days.  :-)  had a look at
> the blog post, could not see a link to "quick get" an archive, is copy+paste the
> only option?
>
>
> regards, jr.


> you missed Easter by just a few days

Yes :-)

> could not see a link to "quick get" an archive

Forgive my laziness. I've just updated the article with a zip file, which url
is:
https://baillehachepascal.dev/2022/Data/povegg.zip

Regards,
Pascal


Post a reply to this message

From: BayashiPascal
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 29 Apr 2022 12:15:00
Message: <web.626c0e0d29797c867808302a1749e915@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
> >
> > I did it as a
> > macro in an include file so that anyone interested could reuse it easily.
> > The macro and explanation about it are available on my website:
>
> Nicely done!
>
> Your explanation of the idea is very clear, and the comments in the code are
> very useful. I shall refer to this in the future.
>
> From your image, it appears that the various textures are uv-mapped onto the
> eggs(?)-- but there is no uv_mapping in your code that I can find. Do you think
> that your macro could make use of v3.8's 'lemon' or 'ovus' uv_mapping ability? I
> have not yet used those features, so I do not know where the appropriate code
> should be placed in your macro, or if it would work there.

No uv_mapping here. The textures you see in the image are generated by the
'EggRndTexture' macro in 'egg.inc'. This is a multi-layered 'texture {pigment
{bozo ...}}'.
The shape is a lathe, see the macro 'EggShape' macro in 'egg.inc', not a lemon
or ovus. Then, uv_mapping would be possible if using the 'lathe' mapping. For
example as follow:

object {
  EggRndShape(lengthEgg, radiusEgg, seedShape)
  texture {
    uv_mapping
    pigment {
      image_map { png "img.png" }
    }
    scale <1,lengthEgg,1>
  }
}

In 'img.png', the top-down axis corresponds to the small end-big end axis, and
the left-right axis warps around the egg. Note that I haven't tried and I'm
writing this only by referring to the doc.

Regards,
Pascal


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Egg shape formula
Date: 7 May 2022 04:00:00
Message: <web.6276264b29797c86879e196a6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"BayashiPascal" <inf### [at] baillehachepascaldev> wrote:
> ... I've just updated the article with a zip file, ...

pls check your "info" inbox.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.