POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Spiral Server Time
1 Oct 2022 03:45:28 EDT (-0400)
  Spiral (Message 1 to 10 of 26)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: m@b
Subject: Spiral
Date: 2 Feb 2022 06:19:54
Message: <61fa68da@news.povray.org>
I saw this 
<https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica> 

And I made this:


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spiral 01a.png' (165 KB)

Preview of image 'spiral 01a.png'
spiral 01a.png


 

From: Mr
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 2 Feb 2022 08:40:01
Message: <web.61fa895fc95e657516086ed06830a892@news.povray.org>
"m@b" <sai### [at] googlemailcom> wrote:
> I saw this
> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica>
>
> And I made this:

Hmm if I had to do that, I wouldn't know where to start from... is it a sphere
sweep?


Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 2 Feb 2022 16:00:00
Message: <web.61faf04cc95e65752636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"m@b" <sai### [at] googlemailcom> wrote:
> I saw this
> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica>
>
> And I made this:


That's awesome! Is there a limitation to increasing the tightness of the spiral?
An animated version might be very interesting.

I'm going to guess sphere_sweep too with the radii based on the brightness of
samples from a source image.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 02:41:25
Message: <61fb8725$1@news.povray.org>
Op 02/02/2022 om 12:19 schreef m@b:
> I saw this 
> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica> 
> 
> And I made this:
> 
> 
Well done indeed; now for an even finer line ;-)

Not the same, but this reminds me of Kenneth's airbrush technique (2008, 
iirc). I am unable to find the exact post here.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: m@b
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 07:07:48
Message: <61fbc594$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/02/2022 4:57 am, Dave Blandston wrote:
> "m@b" <sai### [at] googlemailcom> wrote:
>> I saw this
>> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica>
>>
>> And I made this:
> 
> 
> That's awesome! Is there a limitation to increasing the tightness of the spiral?


No limits - everything is adjustable.
> An animated version might be very interesting.

Here you go <https://youtu.be/NBIKgOxd9l0>
(In YouTube you can right-click and chose loop)

> 
> I'm going to guess sphere_sweep too with the radii based on the brightness of
> samples from a source image.


Close - it's a chain of cylinders. The problem with sphere sweeps is 
that you need to know the number of spheres before you can call it :-)


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 08:36:28
Message: <61fbda5c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-02-03 08:07 (-4), m@b wrote:
> On 03/02/2022 4:57 am, Dave Blandston wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to guess sphere_sweep too with the radii based on the
>> brightness of
>> samples from a source image.
> 
> 
> Close - it's a chain of cylinders. The problem with sphere sweeps is
> that you need to know the number of spheres before you can call it :-)

A clear violation of /The Elements of Programming Style./  As the book
says, computers are better at counting than people are.

The experimental spline feature doesn't make you count; I suppose this
reflects the maturation of the development team over time.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 10:19:58
Message: <61fbf29e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-02-02 07:19 (-4), m@b wrote:
> I saw this
> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica>
> 
> And I made this:

Still tuning the macro, but it's essentially done.  This image is made
with spheres and cylinders, but it can easily be switched to a sphere_sweep.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'rsocp-spiral.jpg' (160 KB)

Preview of image 'rsocp-spiral.jpg'
rsocp-spiral.jpg


 

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 14:04:29
Message: <61fc273d@news.povray.org>
On 2022-02-03 11:19 (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2022-02-02 07:19 (-4), m@b wrote:
>> I saw this
>> <https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/mellan-sudarium-of-saint-veronica>
>>
>> And I made this:
> 
> Still tuning the macro, but it's essentially done.  This image is made
> with spheres and cylinders, but it can easily be switched to a sphere_sweep.

Another, plus color channel renders.  And my hair appears to be thinning.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'me-pats-spiral.jpg' (222 KB) Download 'me-pats-spiral1.png' (163 KB) Download 'me-pats-spiral2.png' (164 KB) Download 'me-pats-spiral3.png' (163 KB)

Preview of image 'me-pats-spiral.jpg'
me-pats-spiral.jpg

Preview of image 'me-pats-spiral1.png'
me-pats-spiral1.png

Preview of image 'me-pats-spiral2.png'
me-pats-spiral2.png

Preview of image 'me-pats-spiral3.png'
me-pats-spiral3.png


 

From: Dave Blandston
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 15:25:00
Message: <web.61fc3a0cc95e65752636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"m@b" <sai### [at] googlemailcom> wrote:
> No limits - everything is adjustable.
> > An animated version might be very interesting.
>
> Here you go <https://youtu.be/NBIKgOxd9l0>
> (In YouTube you can right-click and chose loop)
>
> >
> > I'm going to guess sphere_sweep too with the radii based on the brightness of
> > samples from a source image.
>
>
> Close - it's a chain of cylinders. The problem with sphere sweeps is
> that you need to know the number of spheres before you can call it :-)


Spectacular!


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Spiral
Date: 3 Feb 2022 15:59:53
Message: <61fc4249$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/22 14:04, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Another, plus color channel renders.  And my hair appears to be thinning.

Cool.

You're better off than me. :-) I've taken to wearing toboggan hats 
inside and out during the colder months. My head gets cold otherwise. 
One of a few clues I've no longer got enough blood circulation to my brain.

Freezing rain, sleet & wet snow falling outside here. Yuck. :-(

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.