POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pristine Bronze Age sword Server Time
21 Jun 2024 16:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Pristine Bronze Age sword (Message 1 to 8 of 8)  
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 17 Jun 2023 10:43:34
Message: <648dc696$1@news.povray.org>
Now, this is what I call a Beauty!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65936594

I know, this is *not* a POV-Ray render ;-) but who knows? I might be 
tempted to model it as I have already done something like this years ago...

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 17 Jun 2023 11:45:00
Message: <web.648dd42fe7bffc1c17bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Now, this is what I call a Beauty!
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65936594
>
>

Saw it in my rss river. An exceptional piece.

ingo


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 6 Jul 2023 20:10:00
Message: <web.64a756f9e7bffc1cf8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Now, this is what I call a Beauty!
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65936594
>
> I know, this is *not* a POV-Ray render ;-) but who knows? I might be
> tempted to model it as I have already done something like this years ago...
>
> --
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
(I've always loved swords, even if I don't like what they're used for.)

I say give it a go! It's too bad there's a lack better pictures of the sword out
there, but I think the ones available are enough for an approximation. You might
have some luck using blobs for certain details, such as the handle. (Blobs can
be pretty fast under certain circumstances.) The blade and tip can be made using
CSG of cylinders and prisms, but that's just one idea.


Sam


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 8 Jul 2023 10:47:47
Message: <64a97713$1@news.povray.org>
Op 7-7-2023 om 02:06 schreef Samuel B.:
> Hi Thomas,
> 
> I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
> (I've always loved swords, even if I don't like what they're used for.)
> 
> I say give it a go! It's too bad there's a lack better pictures of the sword out
> there, but I think the ones available are enough for an approximation. You might
> have some luck using blobs for certain details, such as the handle. (Blobs can
> be pretty fast under certain circumstances.) The blade and tip can be made using
> CSG of cylinders and prisms, but that's just one idea.
> 

Hi Sam,
Good to see you are still with us! The article has been the pretext to 
revisit and update a scene I did back in 2009 (I never showed it here 
though) about my very personal view on Grendel, the demonic villain in 
the Beowulf ("/HWÆT!/"). For the sword I use Silo and a couple of 
photographs of Bronze Age blades as templates. I am working on it when I 
have the time. I'll be back when done.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 8 Jul 2023 17:10:00
Message: <web.64a9cf8fe7bffc1cf8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 7-7-2023 om 02:06 schreef Samuel B.:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
> > (I've always loved swords, even if I don't like what they're used for.)
> > [...]
>
> Hi Sam,
> Good to see you are still with us! The article has been the pretext to
> revisit and update a scene I did back in 2009 (I never showed it here
> though) about my very personal view on Grendel, the demonic villain in

> photographs of Bronze Age blades as templates. I am working on it when I
> have the time. I'll be back when done.
>
> --
> Thomas

Yeah, I'm still around and checking in occasionally. (But lurking, because I
don't have anything new to share, haha. I do have things I've started on, but
they're very much in the early WIP stage, and might not get completed.)

Ancient mythologies are interesting, and the lore (ideas, creatures, demons,
etc.) often makes its way into videos games, such as the Castlevania series. I
tend to think such beings represent psychological aspects of ourselves since,
like dreams, myths come from /something/, even if it's just the wreckage of
half-baked thoughts washing ashore ;)

I'm looking forward to the sword! Btw, the Sumerian vase was neat.

Sam


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 10 Jul 2023 02:41:55
Message: <64aba833$1@news.povray.org>
Op 08/07/2023 om 23:05 schreef Samuel B.:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 7-7-2023 om 02:06 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
>>> (I've always loved swords, even if I don't like what they're used for.)
>>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Sam,
>> Good to see you are still with us! The article has been the pretext to
>> revisit and update a scene I did back in 2009 (I never showed it here
>> though) about my very personal view on Grendel, the demonic villain in
>> the Beowulf ("/HWÆT!/"). For the sword I use Silo and a couple of
>> photographs of Bronze Age blades as templates. I am working on it when I
>> have the time. I'll be back when done.
>>

> 
> Yeah, I'm still around and checking in occasionally. (But lurking, because I
> don't have anything new to share, haha. I do have things I've started on, but
> they're very much in the early WIP stage, and might not get completed.)
> 
I can fully understand this indeed ;-)

> Ancient mythologies are interesting, and the lore (ideas, creatures, demons,
> etc.) often makes its way into videos games, such as the Castlevania series. I
> tend to think such beings represent psychological aspects of ourselves since,
> like dreams, myths come from /something/, even if it's just the wreckage of
> half-baked thoughts washing ashore ;)
> 
Yes indeed. What I am curious about is what lies /behind/ the myths, the 
original story or event as it were. Impossible to reconstruct obviously, 
in the vast majority of cases, but a rewarding quest for dreaming up 
"what if's..." which can then be turned into other stories or scenes.

> I'm looking forward to the sword! Btw, the Sumerian vase was neat.
> 
Thanks, Sam. The vase still needs more work before I feel totally 
satisfied but it is at an acceptable stage at the moment. As for the 
sword, I have a couple of choices to make where the blade aspect is 
concerned. Many period blades have a more leaf-shaped form and I am 
inclined to follow that pattern rather than the present rather straight 
edged one.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 16 Jul 2023 18:45:00
Message: <web.64b4723fe7bffc1cf8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 08/07/2023 om 23:05 schreef Samuel B.:
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> >> Op 7-7-2023 om 02:06 schreef Samuel B.:
> >>> Hi Thomas,
> >>>
> >>> I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
> >>> [...]
> >>
> >> Hi Sam,
> >> Good to see you are still with us! The article has been the pretext to
> >> revisit and update a scene I did back in 2009 (I never showed it here
> >> though) about my very personal view on Grendel, the demonic villain in

> >
> > I tend to think such beings represent psychological aspects of ourselves since,
> > like dreams, myths come from /something/, even if it's just the wreckage of
> > half-baked thoughts washing ashore ;)
> >
> Yes indeed. What I am curious about is what lies /behind/ the myths, the
> original story or event as it were. Impossible to reconstruct obviously,
> in the vast majority of cases, but a rewarding quest for dreaming up
> "what if's..." which can then be turned into other stories or scenes.
> [...]

For sure! One can always try of course, and that's probably where the the fun is
to be found ;)

It seems likely that - at least on an individual level - we can do things like
trace back our own mythology, discover the origins of our dream content, find
the seed of our beliefs, acquire self-realization, etc. Everything comes from
/something/. (The principle of cause and effect is pretty much indisputable at
this point.) And since we have at least some direct access to ourselves, we can
start there ':D

Despite what I said before, I am not a strict materialist, at least not in the
common sense... I don't see any difference between 'physical reality' and
'spirituality'. And I tend to believe in certain transpersonal and
parapsychological ideas which... might seem controversial to most. For instance,
I can imagine a mechanism by which telepathy might work. And that certain large
energetic systems, such as stars and galaxies, might have a form of sentience.
But, even if such things are true and actively influence us, the human brain has
a habit of filtering information and personalizing it based on lived experience.
Combine that personal filtering with novel mental states such as dreams, sleep
paralysis, psychosis, psychedelic states and whatnot, and you might just have
the beginnings of a myth.

Sam


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
Date: 25 Aug 2023 07:04:11
Message: <64e88aab$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 17.06.23 16:43, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Now, this is what I call a Beauty!
> 
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65936594
> 
> I know, this is *not* a POV-Ray render ;-) but who knows? I might be 
> tempted to model it as I have already done something like this years ago...
> 
1400 BC... this must be from a quite early stage of Indo-European 
settlement in Central Europe - a time when not even the Celts have 
spread throughout what is now Germany, when most Central Europeans still 
were Illyrians!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Wie ein Pfeil (Puhdys) - "Like an Arrow", a 1973 single by 
a once-famous GDR rock band


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.