POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited Server Time
24 Feb 2024 23:20:04 EST (-0500)
  Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited (Message 11 to 20 of 27)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 8 Feb 2023 11:02:54
Message: <63e3c7ae$1@news.povray.org>
Op 8-2-2023 om 12:50 schreef Kenneth:
> I feel like I am standing right there on that majestic mountain. What a
> beautiful and sublime image! I do remember your earlier versions too, which were
> quite impressive.
> 
> I especially like what appears to be a hint of wind-blown snow in the air, in
> front of one of your more distant craggy peaks, with the sunlight giving it a
> hazy look there. It certainly adds to the scale of the scene, its vastness, and
> the overall feeling of cold solitude. And realism!
> 
somehow, the used media here is a tad less visible than in the original. 
Maybe switching the scene from POV-Ray version 3.6 to 3.8 may have 
something to do with it.

> The textures are superb too.
> 
Aah, those have been a real pita! I have struggled for several months to 
finally get something acceptable.

> This image will go into my folder of 'extraordinary POV-ray renders'. Excellent
> work.
>
Thank you indeed, Kenneth!

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 8 Feb 2023 11:06:51
Message: <63e3c89b$1@news.povray.org>
Op 8-2-2023 om 13:05 schreef s.day:
> Hi Thomas,
> 
> This is a huge improvement, the old image was nice but this one is great, the
> detail in the foreground is fantastic, the snow looks great and the texture
> improvements really add to the scene.
> 
> It was well worth revisiting.
> 
Thank you Sean. At the time I was rather satisfied with the old image 
although textures and foreground kept me uncertain, but I did not know 
exactly how to tackle them.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 8 Feb 2023 15:20:00
Message: <web.63e403ab1f12570df9e2cebdf712fc00@news.povray.org>
It's funny what jumps out to you in the posts.

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

>
>  I often have to reinvent my own wheels...
>

I just got tired of doing just that making tires. So I wrote code that made all
the tires I'll every need. If I can remember where I where I put it.

Very Nice picture,  I'm definitely that code!

Have Fun!!


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 9 Feb 2023 02:14:54
Message: <63e49d6e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 08/02/2023 om 21:19 schreef Leroy:
> 
> It's funny what jumps out to you in the posts.
> 
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> 
>>
>>   I often have to reinvent my own wheels...
>>
> 
> I just got tired of doing just that making tires. So I wrote code that made all
> the tires I'll every need. If I can remember where I where I put it.
> 
> Very Nice picture,  I'm definitely that code!
> 
> Have Fun!!
> 
LOL, yes, I think that most of us have that same experience.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Robert McGregor
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 10 Feb 2023 20:55:00
Message: <web.63e6f4ce1f12570d87570eabd4644d08@news.povray.org>
I love this image Thomas, very nicely done sir!

Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> I have the intention to write a HowTo about this scene, especially as -
> since 2009 - I have learned quite a lot of new tricks which I then
> applied here. I am really thinking about a "Robert McGregor" kind of
> explanation. I am sure it can indeed be of benefit to others, if not for
> remembering myself on how to do certain things! I often have to reinvent
> my own wheels... ;-/

I would also like to see a "me" kind of explanation of this image, as I could
certainly benefit from some new insights :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 11 Feb 2023 02:49:40
Message: <63e74894@news.povray.org>
Op 11/02/2023 om 02:52 schreef Robert McGregor:
> I would also like to see a "me" kind of explanation of this image, as I could
> certainly benefit from some new insights :)
>
Working on it. ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 11 Feb 2023 14:38:16
Message: <63e7eea8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.02.2023 um 10:11 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Hi,
> Last December, looking for something else, I cam across my scene from 2009:
> 
>
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b1bcc05%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=439213&toff=2250
> 
> At the time, Christian Froeshlin suggested towards the end of that 
> thread, to use a sub-heightfield to account for better details on the 
> foreground. He kindly provided code to achieve this. For some reason, I 
> never got around to get acquainted with the code and the project was put 
> on hold.
> 
> So, I started experimenting and I finally came up with two macros, one 
> for "pure" functions, and one for height_field map-based functions 
> (which need to be slightly cropped around the edges).
> 
> I applied this last macro to my scene, excluded the scattering of rocks 
> (I was not happy with those anyway), and took the opportunity to improve 
> several awkward coding aspects of the scene, in particular the textures. 
> The final result is this.
> 
> If somebody is interested, I can provide the macros of course.
Indeed a very nice and realistic image. I only hope your bird of prey 
will find a marmot behind the ridge.

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 12 Feb 2023 02:16:28
Message: <63e8924c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 11/02/2023 om 20:38 schreef MichaelJF:
> Indeed a very nice and realistic image. I only hope your bird of prey 
> will find a marmot behind the ridge.
> 
There are lots and lots of fat marmots over there! They were in the 
scene just before the snapshot was taken, but then they spotted the 
eagle and hid. :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 12 Feb 2023 15:20:00
Message: <web.63e949b71f12570d8cc10cbe89db30a9@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Hi,
> Last December, looking for something else, I cam across my scene from 2009:
>
>
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b1bcc05%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=439213&toff=2250
>
> At the time, Christian Froeshlin suggested towards the end of that
> thread, to use a sub-heightfield to account for better details on the
> foreground. He kindly provided code to achieve this. For some reason, I
> never got around to get acquainted with the code and the project was put
> on hold.
>
> So, I started experimenting and I finally came up with two macros, one
> for "pure" functions, and one for height_field map-based functions
> (which need to be slightly cropped around the edges).
>
> I applied this last macro to my scene, excluded the scattering of rocks
> (I was not happy with those anyway), and took the opportunity to improve
> several awkward coding aspects of the scene, in particular the textures.
> The final result is this.
> ...

Fascinating image!

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com
https://github.com/t-o-k


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
Date: 13 Feb 2023 02:48:05
Message: <63e9eb35@news.povray.org>
Op 12/02/2023 om 21:19 schreef Tor Olav Kristensen:
> Fascinating image!
> 
thanks indeed Tor.

I am working on a HowTo which most probably will also generate a bunch 
of recommendations/improvements from the community. ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.