POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K] Server Time
30 Nov 2022 05:29:31 EST (-0500)
  Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K] (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Hughes, B 
Subject: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 14 Mar 2004 20:44:50
Message: <40550a92@news.povray.org>
This rendering is the result of Tom Galvin mentioning a Wonka device from
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when replying to a post of one of my
animations recently. Then I saw the movie again just a few days ago, so I
was compelled to try making the Great Glass Elevator shown at the end of
that movie.

First, I looked for pictures of it and noticed there are only a few and none
done using POV-Ray that I could find. My rendition of it here might not ever
match the one from the movie but here is a start. Door and glass parts need
to be changed.

Example of what I modelled after, from a web search:
http://www.borg.com/~superman/mm.html

-- 
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'wonkavator.jpg' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'wonkavator.jpg'
wonkavator.jpg


 

From: Dan P
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 14 Mar 2004 22:14:52
Message: <40551fac$1@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
news:40550a92@news.povray.org...
> This rendering is the result of Tom Galvin mentioning a Wonka device from
> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when replying to a post of one of my
> animations recently. Then I saw the movie again just a few days ago, so I
> was compelled to try making the Great Glass Elevator shown at the end of
> that movie.
>
> First, I looked for pictures of it and noticed there are only a few and
none
> done using POV-Ray that I could find. My rendition of it here might not
ever
> match the one from the movie but here is a start. Door and glass parts
need
> to be changed.
>
> Example of what I modelled after, from a web search:
> http://www.borg.com/~superman/mm.html


Looks cool. Missing the string, though :-)

-- 
- Respectfully,
Dan
http://<broken link>


Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 14 Mar 2004 22:26:14
Message: <40552256$1@news.povray.org>
Anyone brave enough to model the Wonkavator (and mention it by name) is my
new hero.  Congratulations!

It's one of my all time favorite movies, since I watched it for the first
time in roughly 1975.  I often hum and/or whistle the main theme at work
when I'm feeling Wonka-like.  lol (at myself).  If you want to view
paradise...  all you have to do is just POV it...  ;-)

-- 
Jeremy the Oompa Loompa
www.beantoad.com


"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
news:40550a92@news.povray.org...
> This rendering is the result of Tom Galvin mentioning a Wonka device from
> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when replying to a post of one of my
> animations recently. Then I saw the movie again just a few days ago, so I
> was compelled to try making the Great Glass Elevator shown at the end of
> that movie.
>
> First, I looked for pictures of it and noticed there are only a few and
none
> done using POV-Ray that I could find. My rendition of it here might not
ever
> match the one from the movie but here is a start. Door and glass parts
need
> to be changed.
>
> Example of what I modelled after, from a web search:
> http://www.borg.com/~superman/mm.html
>
> -- 
> Bob H.
> http://www.3digitaleyes.com
>
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Dan P
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 14 Mar 2004 22:28:00
Message: <405522c0$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <sla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:40552256$1@news.povray.org...
> Anyone brave enough to model the Wonkavator (and mention it by name) is my
> new hero.  Congratulations!
>
> It's one of my all time favorite movies, since I watched it for the first
> time in roughly 1975.  I often hum and/or whistle the main theme at work
> when I'm feeling Wonka-like.  lol (at myself).  If you want to view
> paradise...  all you have to do is just POV it...  ;-)
>
> -- 
> Jeremy the Oompa Loompa
> www.beantoad.com


Mr. Wonka inspired my current state of sanity as well :-)

-- 
- Respectfully,
Dan
http://<broken link>


Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 14 Mar 2004 23:14:01
Message: <40552d89$1@news.povray.org>
Dan P wrote:
> Mr. Wonka inspired my current state of sanity as well :-)

And if you've only watched the movie and not read the book, you 
naturally missed half of it.

-- 
Darren New, San Diego CA USA (PST)
   I am in geocentric orbit, supported by
   a quantum photon exchange drive....


Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 15 Mar 2004 00:18:20
Message: <40553c9c@news.povray.org>
> And if you've only watched the movie and not read the book, you
> naturally missed half of it.

There was a book?  ;)


Post a reply to this message

From: Hughes, B 
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 15 Mar 2004 04:09:18
Message: <405572be$1@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <sta### [at] uiucedu> wrote in message
news:40553c9c@news.povray.org...
>
> > And if you've only watched the movie and not read the book, you
> > naturally missed half of it.
>
> There was a book?  ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I had no idea it was from a book. I
always liked the movie, in general, even though I had a negative reaction
when I first saw it. The rather weird thing about the old folks being
bedridden, mainly, but the overall tone of the movie too. So that has been
reason for me to think of the movie (or story) as very strange. But then
many such so-called childrens movies cause me to think of them the same way.
Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc. Not sure if it's the
poverty-mixed-with-wealth-fantasy aspect or what.

Anyway... I only just now found out about the books. The other being Charlie
and the Great Glass Elevator, which I read a short description of online and
it sounds more bewildering than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Must be some great subject matter in them though.  :-)
http://www.fact-index.com/c/ch/charlie_and_the_great_glass_elevator.html

-- 
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 15 Mar 2004 10:54:13
Message: <4055d1a5$1@news.povray.org>
Hughes, B. wrote:
> Anyway... I only just now found out about the books. The other being Charlie
> and the Great Glass Elevator, which I read a short description of online and
> it sounds more bewildering than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The second book was quite a bit stranger than the first one.

-- 
Darren New, San Diego CA USA (PST)
   I am in geocentric orbit, supported by
   a quantum photon exchange drive....


Post a reply to this message

From: gharadon
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 3 Nov 2022 18:45:00
Message: <web.63644417ef579884c11950ad2aba0244@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> This rendering is the result of Tom Galvin mentioning a Wonka device from
> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when replying to a post of one of my
> animations recently. Then I saw the movie again just a few days ago, so I
> was compelled to try making the Great Glass Elevator shown at the end of
> that movie.
>
> First, I looked for pictures of it and noticed there are only a few and none
> done using POV-Ray that I could find. My rendition of it here might not ever
> match the one from the movie but here is a start. Door and glass parts need
> to be changed.
>
> Example of what I modelled after, from a web search:
> http://www.borg.com/~superman/mm.html
>
> --
> Bob H.
> http://www.3digitaleyes.com

i stumbled upon this post which was awhile ago now so not sure if ill get a
response but i would love to get a 3d model of the wonkavator if possible can
you please send the rendition link?
thank you in advance
love me some wonka

geoff


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Wonkavator, or Great Glass Elevator [JPG ~17K]
Date: 3 Nov 2022 19:05:00
Message: <web.63644880ef5798841f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"gharadon" <gbh### [at] livecom> wrote:
> ... i would love to get a 3d model of the wonkavator if possible can
> you please send the rendition link?

> geoff


Look like there are plenty available.
https://search.brave.com/search?q=wonkavator+3d+model

If you get an STL file, then you can convert that with something like STL2POV
and get a mesh.

Or you could load it up in a modeler and try to recreate it from scratch with
CSG and primitives using the measurements from the model file.


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.