POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc Server Time
23 Jun 2021 02:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Upgrading POV-Ray's include files #1: granites.inc --> granites21.inc (Message 109 to 118 of 121)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 28 Apr 2021 08:35:48
Message: <608956a4@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote on 27/04/2021 08:39:
> Op 26/04/2021 om 21:18 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> With a more glassy material (agate?) those would make amzing final 
>> renders on

>>
> 
> Agreed! What are you waiting for, Paolo!? ;-)
> 

Ugh... a first try.

Paolo


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'texture_20210428_33.png' (324 KB)

Preview of image 'texture_20210428_33.png'
texture_20210428_33.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 28 Apr 2021 10:58:59
Message: <60897833$1@news.povray.org>
Op 28-4-2021 om 14:35 schreef Paolo Gibellini:
> 
> Ugh... a first try.
> 
Aaah... yes, I can imagine a 'marble' table top with such a texture, 
probably as an artificial stone but with such an intriguing/hypnotic 
texture. I like your colour choices btw; they work extremely well 
indeed. I am not entirely certain about the normal though.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 28 Apr 2021 13:55:00
Message: <web.6089a07aacefd9bd1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
I know I have it ... somewhere.  Way back someone had posted an animation of a
rotating pyramid, showing off sslt.  It was a glassy agate kind of thing with a
great texture and amazing sslt finish.

I know Robert McGregor has done some very nice work employing sslt as well.
Maybe search the archives for sslt scenes and see what sorts of examples you can
find to get where you want faster.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 29 Apr 2021 21:30:00
Message: <web.608b5c9facefd9bd1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> I'm thinking of doing the shell and the chambering all in one go with something
> like the attached.   It seems like a perfect use for the ovus {} object, if it
> gets hollowed out with a rounded cone first.   Then they'd all nest together.

A quick cobbling together of an ovus with an ellipsoid subtracted away.
The shell itself renders fairly quickly, the difference to show the cross
section was _slow_ (6.5 min.)

Parameterizing this would be challenging, to get the spiral tightness and
spacing correct while keeping the chambers properly spaced and angled the right
way...


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'ammonitemarble.png' (57 KB)

Preview of image 'ammonitemarble.png'
ammonitemarble.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 30 Apr 2021 07:54:40
Message: <608bf000$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30-4-2021 om 03:25 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> 
>> I'm thinking of doing the shell and the chambering all in one go with something
>> like the attached.   It seems like a perfect use for the ovus {} object, if it
>> gets hollowed out with a rounded cone first.   Then they'd all nest together.
> 
> A quick cobbling together of an ovus with an ellipsoid subtracted away.
> The shell itself renders fairly quickly, the difference to show the cross
> section was _slow_ (6.5 min.)
> 
> Parameterizing this would be challenging, to get the spiral tightness and
> spacing correct while keeping the chambers properly spaced and angled the right
> way...
> 
Good try. Interested to see how this would show in a rock slab.

I found my old program: Helixir, from the 1990's. Saves mesh{} files but 
not yet sure if it will do.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 30 Apr 2021 17:35:00
Message: <web.608c777cacefd9bd1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
plane {z, 0
 texture {
  object {Shell
   texture {T_Grnt1} // outside
   texture {T_Grnt14}  // inside
  }
 }
}


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'ammonitemarble.png' (426 KB)

Preview of image 'ammonitemarble.png'
ammonitemarble.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 1 May 2021 02:14:31
Message: <608cf1c7$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30/04/2021 om 23:32 schreef Bald Eagle:
> plane {z, 0
>   texture {
>    object {Shell
>     texture {T_Grnt1} // outside
>     texture {T_Grnt14}  // inside
>    }
>   }
> }
> 

ok... stylised ammonite ;-) Makes a nice pattern though; I would keep it 
as such, but as an ammonite... not yet there (too high above the uncanny 
valley).

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 3 May 2021 06:01:35
Message: <608fc9ff$1@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle wrote on 30/04/2021 23:32:
> plane {z, 0
>   texture {
>    object {Shell
>     texture {T_Grnt1} // outside
>     texture {T_Grnt14}  // inside
>    }
>   }
> }
> 

A nice work!

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 3 May 2021 06:01:54
Message: <608fca12$1@news.povray.org>
Bald Eagle wrote on 28/04/2021 19:50:
> I know I have it ... somewhere.  Way back someone had posted an animation of a
> rotating pyramid, showing off sslt.  It was a glassy agate kind of thing with a
> great texture and amazing sslt finish.
> 
> I know Robert McGregor has done some very nice work employing sslt as well.
> Maybe search the archives for sslt scenes and see what sorts of examples you can
> find to get where you want faster.
> 
> 
> 

I will investigate...

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Subject: Re: Upgrading POV-Ray's include files#1:granites.inc-->granites21.inc
Date: 3 May 2021 06:04:03
Message: <608fca93$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote on 28/04/2021 16:58:
> Op 28-4-2021 om 14:35 schreef Paolo Gibellini:
>>
>> Ugh... a first try.
>>
> Aaah... yes, I can imagine a 'marble' table top with such a texture, 
> probably as an artificial stone but with such an intriguing/hypnotic 
> texture. I like your colour choices btw; they work extremely well 
> indeed. I am not entirely certain about the normal though.
> 

The normal is not related with the content... is just a quick test ;-)

Paolo


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.