POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : --- Server Time
11 Oct 2026 08:36:24 EDT (-0400)
  --- (Message 1 to 20 of 20)  
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 22 Feb 2012 10:09:31
Message: <4F45052D.7080102@gmail.com>
On 21-2-2012 14:01, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Along the River Yann lives a humanoid race everybody calls the Marsh
> Demons, except for the River Traders who call them The Masters of the
> River. They are effectively the guardians and as such inimical to
> Gancaloon.
>
> Thomas

not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at 
the other side of the pond.

-- 
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the 
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 22 Feb 2012 10:55:18
Message: <4f450fe6$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-2-2012 16:09, andrel wrote:
>
> not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at
> the other side of the pond.
>

Frankly, I don't see why. Anybody who can seriously point to any 
resemblance with an existing ethnic population in the world, is not PC 
but has a crooked mind. And I am dead serious.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 22 Feb 2012 11:17:56
Message: <4f451534$1@news.povray.org>
Le 22/02/2012 16:55, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> On 22-2-2012 16:09, andrel wrote:
>>
>> not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at
>> the other side of the pond.
>>
> 
> Frankly, I don't see why. Anybody who can seriously point to any
> resemblance with an existing ethnic population in the world, is not PC
> but has a crooked mind. And I am dead serious.
> 
> Thomas


Be pervert, make him (her ?) smiles!
It's not because they are hostile to Gancaloon that they are not happy
people. It's not a full-time job, 24/7.


Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 22 Feb 2012 16:44:31
Message: <4F4561BF.6040301@gmail.com>
On 22-2-2012 16:55, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 22-2-2012 16:09, andrel wrote:
>>
>> not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at
>> the other side of the pond.
>>
>
> Frankly, I don't see why. Anybody who can seriously point to any
> resemblance with an existing ethnic population in the world, is not PC
> but has a crooked mind. And I am dead serious.

In the US there are large groups that are triggered when an obvious 
afro-american is labelled 'demon'. In particular those that are not 
surprised by my totally wrong use of afro-american in the last sentence. 
You know, the ones that think Obama is not an afro-american because his 
father was an african. As opposed to being a slave descendant.

Anyway, I don't care myself and I know that the variation in body shapes 
is the largest in Afica, so whatever shape you choose it is rather 
likely that there is an african tribe that he could have come from (I 
won't include a picture in this forum, but he is frightening close to a 
friend of mine from Nigeria, apart from the ears or course).

BTW good model and nice textures.


-- 
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the 
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 22 Feb 2012 17:20:09
Message: <4f456a19$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.02.2012 22:44, schrieb andrel:
> On 22-2-2012 16:55, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 22-2-2012 16:09, andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at
>>> the other side of the pond.
>>>
>>
>> Frankly, I don't see why. Anybody who can seriously point to any
>> resemblance with an existing ethnic population in the world, is not PC
>> but has a crooked mind. And I am dead serious.
>
> In the US there are large groups that are triggered when an obvious
> afro-american is labelled 'demon'. In particular those that are not
> surprised by my totally wrong use of afro-american in the last sentence.
> You know, the ones that think Obama is not an afro-american because his
> father was an african. As opposed to being a slave descendant.

An African or Afro-American with pointed ears and glowing green eyes? 
Um... yeah. Sure.

Looks more like a classic fantasy troll (or maybe half-troll) to me.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 23 Feb 2012 03:27:58
Message: <4f45f88e$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-2-2012 22:44, andrel wrote:
> In the US there are large groups that are triggered when an obvious
> afro-american is labelled 'demon'. In particular those that are not
> surprised by my totally wrong use of afro-american in the last sentence.
> You know, the ones that think Obama is not an afro-american because his
> father was an african. As opposed to being a slave descendant.
Yes, I know. The usual kind of hypocrisy. Historically understandable 
but still wrong. The irony is that the so-called "demons" are the good 
guys in the Tale :-). Those who oppose (and fear) them are the ones in 
power in Gancaloon. I hinted at that briefly. To tell you a secret, 
these guys are closest to my heart as far as the Tale is concerned and 
form the "basso continuo" so to speak.
>
> Anyway, I don't care myself and I know that the variation in body shapes
> is the largest in Afica, so whatever shape you choose it is rather
> likely that there is an african tribe that he could have come from (I
> won't include a picture in this forum, but he is frightening close to a
> friend of mine from Nigeria, apart from the ears or course).
This is a portrait, but the individual is twice human size approximately 
and the skin hue is not right anyway because of the grey-greenish tint 
(not too visible here, I confess) so, not much chance of an origin. I 
know this does not concern you, but I often wonder why .

I shall have to state the usual text: "All resemblance with people etc 
etc"   ;-)

>
> BTW good model and nice textures.
Thanks. The model and primary texture is Apollo Maximus. Otherwise, the 
usual adaptations following Ive's technique.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 23 Feb 2012 03:35:24
Message: <4f45fa4c@news.povray.org>
On 23-2-2012 9:27, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I know this does not concern you, but I often wonder why .

Obviously I didn't finish my sentence. What I wanted to say is why 
villain (demon?) would be automatically associated with dark and 
foreign? Well the answer is obvious of course, but I am much more 
interested in the case where the villains are not so obviously visible 
and distinguishable from us. If evil is amongst us, what is its aspect 
and how shall we react to it, especially if it cries "demon" to others? 
That is one of the themes of the Tale of Iskander.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 23 Feb 2012 03:37:54
Message: <4f45fae2$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-2-2012 23:20, clipka wrote:
> An African or Afro-American with pointed ears and glowing green eyes?
> Um... yeah. Sure.
LOL.

>
> Looks more like a classic fantasy troll (or maybe half-troll) to me.
Yes, the typology is rather classic I am afraid and, as most of my 
figures remain in a permanent state of wip, his physic may yet change 
over time, including the skin ;-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 23 Feb 2012 03:46:37
Message: <4f45fced$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-2-2012 17:17, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Be pervert, make him (her ?) smiles!
> It's not because they are hostile to Gancaloon that they are not happy
> people. It's not a full-time job, 24/7.

I had to change my answer ;-)

Of course he smiles (sometimes) and they are extremely happy people too. 
They are not really hostile to Gancaloon, in fact they don't care,but 
power faction of Gancaloon is hostile to them because they are the 
protectors of the native population (River Traders). Gancaloon 
originated as a Greek colony and is growing greedy over time.

OK. now I have put the Greek on my back surely ;-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 23 Feb 2012 17:02:18
Message: <4F46B76E.1080809@gmail.com>
On 22-2-2012 23:20, clipka wrote:
> Am 22.02.2012 22:44, schrieb andrel:
>> On 22-2-2012 16:55, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> On 22-2-2012 16:09, andrel wrote:
>>>>
>>>> not sure if this is going to get you in trouble with the PC people at
>>>> the other side of the pond.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Frankly, I don't see why. Anybody who can seriously point to any
>>> resemblance with an existing ethnic population in the world, is not PC
>>> but has a crooked mind. And I am dead serious.
>>
>> In the US there are large groups that are triggered when an obvious
>> afro-american is labelled 'demon'. In particular those that are not
>> surprised by my totally wrong use of afro-american in the last sentence.
>> You know, the ones that think Obama is not an afro-american because his
>> father was an african. As opposed to being a slave descendant.
>
> An African or Afro-American with pointed ears and glowing green eyes?
> Um... yeah. Sure.

Actually these are almost the only differences. I see thomas has a valid 
email address, I'll send a picture to him. Let him decide if we have the 
evil halfbrother of my friend here.



-- 
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the 
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 02:46:22
Message: <4f47404e$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-2-2012 23:02, andrel wrote:
> Actually these are almost the only differences. I see thomas has a valid
> email address, I'll send a picture to him. Let him decide if we have the
> evil halfbrother of my friend here.

Actually a fake address. Send to tDOTdegrootATinterDOTnlDOTnet

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 03:39:33
Message: <4f474cc5@news.povray.org>
Only changing the skin hue and rotating the figure a bit. All else being 
equal (ah yes, gave him a bit of a smile...). Even the skull was like 
this in the first study.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'poserfiguretest.png' (364 KB)

Preview of image 'poserfiguretest.png'
poserfiguretest.png


 

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 07:26:06
Message: <4f4781de$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.02.2012 09:39, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Only changing the skin hue and rotating the figure a bit. All else being
> equal (ah yes, gave him a bit of a smile...). Even the skull was like
> this in the first study.

I think here's an interesting observation to make: While everything else 
about the creature seems to cry out "dumb brutish monster - fight or 
run!", the mouth somehow seems to say, "thoughtful, caring; maybe we can 
be friends".

Very fascinating.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 10:05:49
Message: <4f47a74d@news.povray.org>
On 24-2-2012 13:26, clipka wrote:
> Am 24.02.2012 09:39, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> Only changing the skin hue and rotating the figure a bit. All else being
>> equal (ah yes, gave him a bit of a smile...). Even the skull was like
>> this in the first study.
>
> I think here's an interesting observation to make: While everything else
> about the creature seems to cry out "dumb brutish monster - fight or
> run!", the mouth somehow seems to say, "thoughtful, caring; maybe we can
> be friends".
>
> Very fascinating.

Which shows again that not everything is like it seems, and people, this 
one included ;-), are complex creatures.

Still working on his skin...

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 10:16:09
Message: <4f47a9b9@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot escreveu:
> Only changing the skin hue and rotating the figure a bit. All else being 
> equal (ah yes, gave him a bit of a smile...). Even the skull was like 
> this in the first study.

shulk? :)

I think the specular color on the skin is not right.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 10:20:21
Message: <4f47aab5@news.povray.org>
On 24-2-2012 13:26, clipka wrote:
> I think here's an interesting observation to make: While everything else
> about the creature seems to cry out "dumb brutish monster - fight or
> run!", the mouth somehow seems to say, "thoughtful, caring; maybe we can
> be friends".
>
> Very fascinating.

In fact you have very well described the personality of the Marsh Demons 
aka the Masters, or deduced it from the image. In both cases, I am happy 
:-) I like complex personalities in my work (in life too).

A latest tweaking of the skin. I leave at that for the time being.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'poserfiguretest.png' (367 KB)

Preview of image 'poserfiguretest.png'
poserfiguretest.png


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 10:22:07
Message: <4f47ab1f$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-2-2012 16:16, nemesis wrote:
> I think the specular color on the skin is not right.

That is the most difficult. However, what about the latest?

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 11:05:01
Message: <web.4f47b465d781718c773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> On 24-2-2012 13:26, clipka wrote:
> > I think here's an interesting observation to make: While everything else
> > about the creature seems to cry out "dumb brutish monster - fight or
> > run!", the mouth somehow seems to say, "thoughtful, caring; maybe we can
> > be friends".
> >
> > Very fascinating.
>
> In fact you have very well described the personality of the Marsh Demons
> aka the Masters, or deduced it from the image. In both cases, I am happy
> :-) I like complex personalities in my work (in life too).
>
> A latest tweaking of the skin. I leave at that for the time being.

I think unless he's sweating, it should be less bright.  And bumps more
prominent.

He also looks a bit like Piccolo. :)


Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 24 Feb 2012 12:12:04
Message: <4F47C4EA.7010508@gmail.com>
On 24-2-2012 8:46, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 23-2-2012 23:02, andrel wrote:
>> Actually these are almost the only differences. I see thomas has a valid
>> email address, I'll send a picture to him. Let him decide if we have the
>> evil halfbrother of my friend here.
>
> Actually a fake address. Send to tDOTdegrootATinterDOTnlDOTnet

superficially this looks even more fake.

the wwbaddress www.degroot.org makes it clear that it has nothing to do 
with you.




-- 
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the 
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Gancaloon: The Marsh Demons
Date: 25 Feb 2012 04:10:22
Message: <4f48a57e$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-2-2012 17:01, nemesis wrote:
> I think unless he's sweating, it should be less bright.  And bumps more
> prominent.
I disagree here. Except for very dry skin perhaps, there is always some 
specular effect. No, no more bumps. I feel he has enough already ;-)

>
> He also looks a bit like Piccolo. :)
I had to look that up :-)
No, he is very different in character.

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.