Happy New Year all - here's a sample of my latest iteration!
I decided that the galleries-only approach wasn't sufficiently varied when
scaled up to more complex structures, so I've added a new dimension: buildings!
And this turns out to be a whole other axis of bugs and possible improvements :)
The modular nature of the existing code means I can use the same floors indoor
as out - you can see the sides of the floor cells along the walls. In a similar
way, the building walls and rooftop sides are all placed depending on their
nearest neighbours, so in theory the building internals are sensible too
(although I haven't poked a camera indoors to check yet). The main issue yet to
be resolved is that many balconies end up orphaned with only a blank wall (I
didn't want to put doors into every balcony wall, because then there are too
many). I think I need some way to walk connected floors and make sure there's at
least one door into each area.
The current order of play is:
1) Place building cells according to building-container geometry
2) Place rooftop cells on top of building cells
3) Place gallery cells according to gallery-container geometry
4) Place staircases according to gallery cells
5) Build geometry for the grid, using the increasingly complex condition-monster
to place sides to the various types of cell.
This image parsed in 9 seconds and rendered in 7 minutes. I spent some more time
optimizing the geometry before starting work on the buildings, so everything is
now built from predeclared meshes copied into place, making large grids more
Post a reply to this message
Download 'autobuild7.jpg' (196 KB)
Preview of image 'autobuild7.jpg'