POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : green gas cloud on checkered plane Server Time
29 Nov 2022 06:20:01 EST (-0500)
  green gas cloud on checkered plane (Message 11 to 20 of 29)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 04:17:07
Message: <593f9f83$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/13/2017 8:56 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>
>> Hmm! not really. It did take a few years to lay a gas pipeline after
>> putting down the oil pipeline. Remember in the early days it was very
>> expensive and there was not that much revenue coming in. Unlike the way
>> Norway developed their oil and gas. The UK gave tax concessions to
>> private companies to develop the oil and gas fields. And their bean
>> counters were more interested in profits.
>>
>
> That is right. Costs and profits...

And to be fair. When I started working offshore. There were already 
plans to begin injecting the gas separated from the oil back into the 
top of the formation to squeeze more hydrocarbons out of the middle. 
(Water was injected into the lower parts for the same reason.)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 07:01:29
Message: <593fc609$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-6-2017 10:17, Stephen wrote:
> On 6/13/2017 8:56 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm! not really. It did take a few years to lay a gas pipeline after
>>> putting down the oil pipeline. Remember in the early days it was very
>>> expensive and there was not that much revenue coming in. Unlike the way
>>> Norway developed their oil and gas. The UK gave tax concessions to
>>> private companies to develop the oil and gas fields. And their bean
>>> counters were more interested in profits.
>>>
>>
>> That is right. Costs and profits...
>
> And to be fair. When I started working offshore. There were already
> plans to begin injecting the gas separated from the oil back into the
> top of the formation to squeeze more hydrocarbons out of the middle.
> (Water was injected into the lower parts for the same reason.)
>

Indeed yes. I forgot about that.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 07:31:12
Message: <593fcd00$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/13/2017 12:01 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 13-6-2017 10:17, Stephen wrote:
>> On 6/13/2017 8:56 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hmm! not really. It did take a few years to lay a gas pipeline after
>>>> putting down the oil pipeline. Remember in the early days it was very
>>>> expensive and there was not that much revenue coming in. Unlike the way
>>>> Norway developed their oil and gas. The UK gave tax concessions to
>>>> private companies to develop the oil and gas fields. And their bean
>>>> counters were more interested in profits.
>>>>
>>>
>>> That is right. Costs and profits...
>>
>> And to be fair. When I started working offshore. There were already
>> plans to begin injecting the gas separated from the oil back into the
>> top of the formation to squeeze more hydrocarbons out of the middle.
>> (Water was injected into the lower parts for the same reason.)
>>
>
> Indeed yes. I forgot about that.
>

It was some time ago and not for a very long period.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 10:40:50
Message: <593ff972$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 12.06.2017 04:26, Kenneth wrote:

> Playing/experimenting with media (and image_mapped buildings.) I'm not yet sure
> if this is a WIP, or just an experiment. This small test alone took 55 hours to
> render, on my dual-core Windows 7 box-- with no AA or radiosity.

Cool! May I Commodore64ize and AtariSTize your video and re-publish it 
here and/or on YouTube, of course crediting you?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 13:05:01
Message: <web.59401ad514c5bb48c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> Yes indeed. Differencing the buildings won't do anything. Which reminds
> me that the buildings here remind me of the City7 macros by Mike
> Williams. I wonder where those originated from. I looked but could not
> find their origin any more; not from Mike's site at least. I have them
> in my own system but others might be interested.

Hmmm.
I think I _might_ know to what you're referring...
Are you sure it wasn't isocity by TEK?

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47ec0047%40news.povray.org%3E/


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 16:10:00
Message: <web.5940456e14c5bb48883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Cool! May I Commodore64ize and AtariSTize your video and re-publish it
> here and/or on YouTube, of course crediting you?
>

Sure! Have fun with it.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 13 Jun 2017 16:50:00
Message: <web.59404f1114c5bb48883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>
> Getting a dense, self-shadowing, *almost* pure-color media is a bit difficult.
> I'll probably post something about that separately. (This test is with
> scattering media-- plus extinction-- along with absorption media.)

Hmm, with further experimentation, it wasn't so difficult after all-- after I
worked around some of the pitfalls of using multiple medias (which warrant some
comments that I'll eventually post separately.)

A 'better' PURE-green cloud is the code below.

Note the 'extinction' value of 0. Although scattering media's extinction is good
for producing self-shadowing, it presently can't take a color vector, just a
float value. As-is, it creates a *complementary* color in the media (nearly
PURPLE in this case.) That's realistic, of course-- a colored cloud *should*
filter out lighting of that color-- but for artistic reasons like a 'pure'-color
cloud, it would be nice to be able to play around with extinction. The
additional absorption media below-- having NO color-- produces what looks like
identical self-shadowing, but without that complementary coloring.

-----
(needs at least one light source)

sphere{0,1
    hollow
        texture{
            pigment{rgbt 1}
            finish{ambient 0 emission 0 diffuse 0}
            }
        interior{
            media{
                 method 3
                 intervals 1
                 samples 70

                 scattering{1, rgb 50*<0,1,0> extinction 0} // NO extinction,
// as it introduces an unwanted 'complementary' color into the media's
// self-shadows.

                 absorption 50 // NO color

                 emission 8*<0,1,0> // just to lighten-up the self-shadows
// a bit

                 density{
                    spherical
                    color_map{
                        [.12 rgb 0]
                        [.37 rgb 1]
                             }
                        scale 3
                        warp{turbulence .7 omega .5}
                        scale 1/3
                       }
       translate 1.2*y
       }

--------
Play around with the medias' multiplier values, to get a density that looks
nice.


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 14 Jun 2017 02:31:32
Message: <5940d844@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 13.06.2017 22:05, Kenneth wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> Cool! May I Commodore64ize and AtariSTize your video and re-publish it
>> here and/or on YouTube, of course crediting you?
>>
>
> Sure! Have fun with it.

Here it is: Atari ST monochrome mode (640 by 400 pixels, effectively 533 
by 400 pixels, as the sides ratio is 4:3), no dithering, threshold value 
125! Made with ffmpeg, GIMP (for probing the threshold value) and YIP 
(Yadgar's Image Processor)!

In the more distant future, I plan to run this video (and many others 
made in the same way) on my real Atari 1040 STFM from diskette(s) or 
hard disk... watch out!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_L0HyTkA4

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'green gas cloud on a checkered plane by kenneth, atari st monochrome version, no dithering, threshold value 125.mp4.mpg' (4854 KB)

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 14 Jun 2017 02:52:19
Message: <5940dd23$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-6-2017 19:03, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Hmmm.
> I think I _might_ know to what you're referring...
> Are you sure it wasn't isocity by TEK?
>
>
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47ec0047%40news.povray.org%3E/
>

Oh no! This is a totally different approach. I had forgotten about Tek's 
city though. He never released it, did he?

No, City7 /is/ Mike Williams' work.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
Date: 14 Jun 2017 02:57:00
Message: <5940de3c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

And also the Floyd-Steinberg dithered version...

YouTube only (as it is larger than 8 MB): 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0C-3rh5Jk

Commodore 64 and Atari ST color mode versions may come later this year - 
I haven't yet implemented the corresponding features in YIP!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.