POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Pannellum Server Time
26 Nov 2022 13:20:31 EST (-0500)
  Pannellum (Message 4 to 13 of 23)  
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 05:40:02
Message: <58e21872$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/3/2017 9:50 AM, omniverse wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 4/2/2017 8:52 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I updated my spaceship scene and rendered new frames to be used with
>>> Pannellum panorama viewer.
>>>
>>> http://isometricland.net/panorama/pannellum.htm?config=pano-gh-scene-spinner.json
>>>
>>>
>>> I still was not able to turn the interior atmosphere due to render
>>> times. Even on the 16-core MS Azure server I am using for my renders
>>> this month, things were taking too long.
>>
>> Forgot to mention there are strange square shaped artifacts in the blue
>> end caps of the scene. They exist in the source images as well. I don't
>> know what causes them.
>
> Impressive scene. And maybe disorienting to some earthbound people. :)
>

Yes it is impressive. :)

> If able to see it, is the atmosphere both ground-hugging and cloudlets floating
> around?
>
> Wild guess about the squares. Could it be something about the ends being
> directly opposite and slightly reflective, max_trace_level?
> Although I don't recall seeing unusual squared patterns from anything like that
> before.
>

I would definitely check the max level first.
When you were making the trefoil, is there anything with an unusual 
normal involved?


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 08:14:00
Message: <58e23c88$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.04.2017 um 03:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> Forgot to mention there are strange square shaped artifacts in the blue
> end caps of the scene. They exist in the source images as well. I don't
> know what causes them.

Looks like radiosity artifacts to me.
Your scene may need a more exhaustive radiosity pretrace.

Make sure you have `always_sample` set to `off` (or not set at all).


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 12:35:20
Message: <58e279c8$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/3/2017 8:13 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 03.04.2017 um 03:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
>> Forgot to mention there are strange square shaped artifacts in the blue
>> end caps of the scene. They exist in the source images as well. I don't
>> know what causes them.
>
> Looks like radiosity artifacts to me.
> Your scene may need a more exhaustive radiosity pretrace.
>
> Make sure you have `always_sample` set to `off` (or not set at all).
>

Here are my global settings. Radiosity is disabled.


global_settings
{
	charset utf8
	assumed_gamma	1.0
	#if (!NoRadiosity)
		ambient_light	0
		radiosity
		{
			pretrace_start	0.08
			pretrace_end	0.02
			count			20
			error_bound		1
			recursion_limit	1
			normal			on
			brightness		0.8
			always_sample	no
			gray_threshold	0.8
			media			on
		}
	#end
	#switch (TexQual)
		#case (-1)
			max_trace_level 4
		#break
		#case (0)
			max_trace_level 4
		#break
		#case (1)
			max_trace_level 4
		#break
		#case (2)
			max_trace_level 4
		#break
	#end
}


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 12:37:06
Message: <58e27a32$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/3/2017 4:50 AM, omniverse wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 4/2/2017 8:52 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> I updated my spaceship scene and rendered new frames to be used with
>>> Pannellum panorama viewer.
>>>
>>> http://isometricland.net/panorama/pannellum.htm?config=pano-gh-scene-spinner.json
>>>
>>>
>>> I still was not able to turn the interior atmosphere due to render
>>> times. Even on the 16-core MS Azure server I am using for my renders
>>> this month, things were taking too long.
>>
>> Forgot to mention there are strange square shaped artifacts in the blue
>> end caps of the scene. They exist in the source images as well. I don't
>> know what causes them.
>
> Impressive scene. And maybe disorienting to some earthbound people. :)
>

Thanks!


> If able to see it, is the atmosphere both ground-hugging and cloudlets floating
> around?
>

No, it is a constant density.


> Wild guess about the squares. Could it be something about the ends being
> directly opposite and slightly reflective, max_trace_level?
> Although I don't recall seeing unusual squared patterns from anything like that
> before.
>

It could be, since I have it set very low.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 14:10:32
Message: <58e29018$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.04.2017 um 18:36 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 4/3/2017 8:13 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 03.04.2017 um 03:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>
>>> Forgot to mention there are strange square shaped artifacts in the blue
>>> end caps of the scene. They exist in the source images as well. I don't
>>> know what causes them.
>>
>> Looks like radiosity artifacts to me.
>> Your scene may need a more exhaustive radiosity pretrace.
>>
>> Make sure you have `always_sample` set to `off` (or not set at all).
>>
> 
> Here are my global settings. Radiosity is disabled.

Then I have no idea what might cause the artifacts.


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 3 Apr 2017 15:50:01
Message: <web.58e2a6b4d40b65bd9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 4/3/2017 4:50 AM, omniverse wrote:
>
> > If able to see it, is the atmosphere both ground-hugging and cloudlets floating
> > around?
> >
>
> No, it is a constant density.

Ah, okay, I was using my imagination anyway. No I'm wondering what that would do
in the spiral light... if that is a light.

> > Wild guess about the squares. Could it be something about the ends being
> > directly opposite and slightly reflective, max_trace_level?
> > Although I don't recall seeing unusual squared patterns from anything like that
> > before.
> >
>
> It could be, since I have it set very low.

What is really strange about it, to me, is how one of the nearby artifacts
(after moving scene around) appears to have a 90 degree angle going on.
The square shapes form a sort of floor and wall, if thinking of it as partially
covering tiles without seams where they meet.
Hopefully you can see or find that too.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 4 Apr 2017 06:00:01
Message: <web.58e36e8bd40b65bd883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>
> Here are my global settings. Radiosity is disabled.
>
>
> global_settings
> {
>  charset utf8
.....
[snip]

Although I haven't seen your animation yet, the   charset utf  entry caught my
eye. Wasn't there another recent post about artefacts due to that? I think it
was in the post about the "Dokken" logo not rendering correctly.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 4 Apr 2017 09:25:36
Message: <58e39ed0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.04.2017 um 21:47 schrieb omniverse:

> What is really strange about it, to me, is how one of the nearby artifacts
> (after moving scene around) appears to have a 90 degree angle going on.
> The square shapes form a sort of floor and wall, if thinking of it as partially
> covering tiles without seams where they meet.
> Hopefully you can see or find that too.

My guess is that the 360 degree image format is using a cube model, and
what you see is the edge of that box.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 4 Apr 2017 09:27:55
Message: <58e39f5b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.04.2017 um 11:59 schrieb Kenneth:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> 
>>
>> Here are my global settings. Radiosity is disabled.
>>
>>
>> global_settings
>> {
>>  charset utf8
> ......
> [snip]
> 
> Although I haven't seen your animation yet, the   charset utf  entry caught my
> eye. Wasn't there another recent post about artefacts due to that? I think it
> was in the post about the "Dokken" logo not rendering correctly.

"charset utf8" can't give you genuine render artifacts. It can only give
you wrong character shapes in a `text` object.


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Pannellum
Date: 4 Apr 2017 22:17:03
Message: <58e4539f$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/4/2017 9:25 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 03.04.2017 um 21:47 schrieb omniverse:
>
>> What is really strange about it, to me, is how one of the nearby artifacts
>> (after moving scene around) appears to have a 90 degree angle going on.
>> The square shapes form a sort of floor and wall, if thinking of it as partially
>> covering tiles without seams where they meet.
>> Hopefully you can see or find that too.
>
> My guess is that the 360 degree image format is using a cube model, and
> what you see is the edge of that box.
>


Yes, it uses 6 images to form a cube map. The artifacts are distributed 
randomly across each of the 6 images.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.