POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiation flickering Server Time
3 May 2024 00:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Radiation flickering (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Radiation flickering
Date: 15 Sep 2013 09:39:26
Message: <5235b88e@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> It would be nice if some kind of motion-blurr-like method could be used
> only on radiosity to smooth it out.

You could render each frame twice (with radiosity data from previous
and next key frame and perform a weighted average later).

Post a reply to this message

From: Quartz
Date: 28 Nov 2014 13:00:01
Message: <web.5478b72f1a834e77f40edae00@news.povray.org>

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The best way to handle this is to run a scene where you have a maximum view of
> the entire scene (can even try to use some well placed mirrors to help) and run
> with high radiosity settings and save the rad file.  You now should be able to
> run the scene from your original view but load the rad file instead of
> recalculating.
>
> This should work better as the way rad is calculated and determined is dependent
> upon the view when, but when it is save and reloaded, the view no longer matters
> as it is mapped to the scene the same every time regardless of the new camera
> view.  The only thing is areas that were hidden or occluded from the original
> view may not get full rad effects which is why you want a setup that lets you
> see as much of your scene as possible at one time.
>
> I did a trick scene a long time ago (can't find it now) where I ran a rad scan
> with a bunch of coloured balls, but then loaded the rad file with white balls
> for an interesting colour cast effect.
>
> -tgq

This thread was helpful to me. I ended up using clipka's answer, but Trevor's
suggestion sounded very difficult - especially given the geometry of my scene.

So I enabled all three options documented here <
http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_2.html#r3_2_8_8_2 > (i.e.
radiosity_file_name="my_file.rad_cache" radiosity_from_file=on
radiosity_to_file=on) and began a full animation render without trying to obtain
a nice radiosity cache first.

Interestingly, the first few frames showed turbulence, but they stabilized
immediately. This is probably fine for my purposes, because it's for a homework
art project and I'm restraining my inner quality stickler - and also because I'm
probably going to do a fade-in when I edit the video, so the first few frames
won't be very visible.

Now that I have the radiosity cache, I could surely rerender the first few
frames. But like I said, I'm trying not to be a stickler on this particular
project.