POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cannot override Declare option Server Time
17 May 2024 18:52:46 EDT (-0400)
  Cannot override Declare option (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Cannot override Declare option
Date: 26 Jan 2012 06:30:01
Message: <web.4f21386ff5df782e85de7b680@news.povray.org>
One cannot override a .ini or command line Declare statement.

File override.pov

#version 3.6;
#include "shapes.inc"
object
{  Center_Object (text { ttf "cyrvetic.ttf" str(Test,0,0) 0.001, 0 }, x+y)
   translate z
   pigment { rgb 1 }
   finish { ambient 1 }
}

File override.ini
______________

+ioverride.pov
Declare=Test=1
[Test2]
Declare=Test=2
______________

Command                         3.7 Result   3.6.1 Result
-------                         ----------   ------------
povray override                     1             1
povray override[Test2]              1             2
povray override Declare=Test=3      1             3
povray Declare=Test=4 override      4             1

I've tried other permutations, such as multiple Declares in the .ini file and
multiple Declares on the command line, and it always uses the first declaration
it finds.  This is inconsistent with the behavior of the other options.

Thank you.

POV-Ray versions: 3.6.1 and 3.7RC3
Operating system: Linux openSUSE 12.1
Hardware: HP Pavilion dv5030us Notebook PC

Post a reply to this message

> Command                         3.7 Result   3.6.1 Result
> -------                         ----------   ------------
> povray override                     1             1
> povray override[Test2]              1             2
> povray override Declare=Test=3      1             3
> povray Declare=Test=4 override      4             1
>
> I've tried other permutations, such as multiple Declares in the .ini file and
> multiple Declares on the command line, and it always uses the first declaration
> it finds.

That is to be expected.

> This is inconsistent with the behavior of the other options.

Not really. We do not promise any order in which command-line options and
INI file options take effect.

Of course, which order, if any, is preferable is up for debate.

	Thorsten