POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Parse warning doesn't give enough information Server Time
17 May 2024 19:41:27 EDT (-0400)
  Parse warning doesn't give enough information (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Parse warning doesn't give enough information
Date: 29 Jul 2011 20:05:00
Message: <web.4e334918c869b7ab85de7b680@news.povray.org>
During the parsing of a scene, I get the warning:

   Parse Warning: Expected pure RGB color expression, unexpected filter and
   transmit components will have no effect.

The warning does not indicate what sort of statement caused it or where it
occurred.  My attempts to narrow the problem down have been wholy unsuccessful.

I get the warning in 3.7RC3, but not in 3.6.2.  I get the warning regardless of
whether the main .pov file sets #version 3.6 or 3.7.

The message appears during the parsing of an #include file that sets #version
3.6 and, in turn, #includes 5 other files that also set #version 3.6.  It also
#includes colors.inc and transforms.inc, both of which set #version 3.5.  All
the #include files reset the #version at the end.

My first suspicion was that I'd used a color value as an ambient, but
deliberately setting the ambient to rgb 0.1 (while skipping the #include file)
did not reproduce the warning.

I put #debug markers thoughout the #include file to try to locate the source of
the warning.  Yet, when I place additional markers to try to narrow down the
problem, or even completely comment out the section indicated by the markers,
the warning message jumps to a place totally different from where the original
markers indicated.  For this reason, I have been unable to come up with a
minimal code sample to reproduce the problem.

This may be a low priority issue, as it involves only a warning.  Still, it
would be nice to know what exactly I'm being warned about.  However unlikely, it
is possible that I'm doing something that I didn't intend.  The issue of parse
warnings not giving enough information has come up before (the "warning
postings" thread).

My OS is the infinitely exasperating Windows 7 Ultimate.

Post a reply to this message

> During the parsing of a scene, I get the warning:
>
>     Parse Warning: Expected pure RGB color expression, unexpected filter and
>     transmit components will have no effect.
>
> The warning does not indicate what sort of statement caused it or where it
> occurred.  My attempts to narrow the problem down have been wholy unsuccessful.
>
> I get the warning in 3.7RC3, but not in 3.6.2.  I get the warning regardless of
> whether the main .pov file sets #version 3.6 or 3.7.
>
> The message appears during the parsing of an #include file that sets #version
> 3.6 and, in turn, #includes 5 other files that also set #version 3.6.  It also
> #includes colors.inc and transforms.inc, both of which set #version 3.5.  All
> the #include files reset the #version at the end.
>
> My first suspicion was that I'd used a color value as an ambient, but
> deliberately setting the ambient to rgb 0.1 (while skipping the #include file)
> did not reproduce the warning.
>
> I put #debug markers thoughout the #include file to try to locate the source of
> the warning.  Yet, when I place additional markers to try to narrow down the
> problem, or even completely comment out the section indicated by the markers,
> the warning message jumps to a place totally different from where the original
> markers indicated.  For this reason, I have been unable to come up with a
> minimal code sample to reproduce the problem.
>
> This may be a low priority issue, as it involves only a warning.  Still, it
> would be nice to know what exactly I'm being warned about.  However unlikely, it
> is possible that I'm doing something that I didn't intend.  The issue of parse
> warnings not giving enough information has come up before (the "warning
> postings" thread).
>
> My OS is the infinitely exasperating Windows 7 Ultimate.

It apens because you have something like this: rgb<1,1,1,1> (4
components colour vector) or rgb<1,1,1,1,1> (5 component colour vector)

When using version 3.6.1, the first was interpreted as rgbf<1,1,1,1> and
the second as rgbft<1,1,1,1,1>

The version 3.7 is more strict in that case, it correctly drops the 4th
and 5th components AND informs you about it.

It can appen wherever you have an rgb statement. The warning have an
implicit "once" that prevent having 100's of warnings if, for example,
it occures in a loop.

It can also appen if you #declare or use an rgb value in a macro or
function and you pass it a 4 or 5 component colour.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> During the parsing of a scene, I get the warning:
>
>     Parse Warning: Expected pure RGB color expression, unexpected filter and
>     transmit components will have no effect.
>
> The warning does not indicate what sort of statement caused it or where it
> occurred.

Based on the code, there is no obvious intention to not have it return the
position correctly. To verify the problem you are seeing, please provide a
minimal scene that causes the warning without a position.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> implicit "once" that prevent having 100's of warnings if, for example, it
> occures in a loop.

This is nonsense, there is no "implicit once" in the code.

The user asked why there is no file name and line number given. Based on the

On 31/07/2011 6:54, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> On 30.07.11 02:00, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> During the parsing of a scene, I get the warning:
>>
>> Parse Warning: Expected pure RGB color expression, unexpected filter and
>> transmit components will have no effect.
>>
>> The warning does not indicate what sort of statement caused it or
>> where it
>> occurred.
>
> Based on the code, there is no obvious intention to not have it return
> the position correctly. To verify the problem you are seeing, please
> provide a minimal scene that causes the warning without a position.
>
> Thorsten

--- START CODE ---
sphere {
   0,1
   pigment {rgb <1,1,1,1,1>}
}
--- END CODE ---

I've not seen a single warning in POV-Ray 3.7.0.RC3.msvc9-sse2.win32
message window that included a line number.  However, while parsing, the
warnings are also shown briefly in the status bar, where the line number
is mentioned.